Question on install
Kefner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just upgraded to a Triple Play plan, and adding a phone line.  When I open my box to install the phone line (box is labeled as Alcatel), there are 2 ports labeled Line 1 and Line 2.  Both of these ports have short phone cords going to a block with a bunch of white connector caps (something like that).  I remember when I had Fios installed a few years ago, the tech said I could wire my house wires into that block if I ever add phone service.  My questions is, do I have to use that block?  Can I just unplug the cords in Line 1 and Line 2, and hook my phone cord into the Line 1 port using a traditional phone cord?  I don't need to feed the house wires, as I am using a cordless phone with multiple handsets, and the Fios box is about 5 feet from where I plan to put the cordless phone's base unit.  I can't test this yet as my service will not be active till tomorrow, but wanted to find out awhile if this would work so I can hook up awhile.  Anyone know?

Edit:  Here's a pic of the inside.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question on install
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you should be able to plug directly into it, but just the one phone would work.     It's purpose is a test jack, but I have a friend that just has a 20 foot cord coming out of it to his kitchen and that's the only phone he has (there are extensions too but they don't need lines connected to them)

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you should be able to plug directly into it, but just the one phone would work.     It's purpose is a test jack, but I have a friend that just has a 20 foot cord coming out of it to his kitchen and that's the only phone he has (there are extensions too but they don't need lines connected to them)

0 Likes
Kefner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks.  It seems like all that is going on in that pic is a normal phone jack, that is feeding that block that allows you to hardwire in a phone line, but I feel it should be ok just to bypass the block, plug an normal phone cord, and run that to my cordless phone base unit.  Just thought I'd ask incase someone had tried this and had issues.  Sounds like your friend is doing what I want to do.  I have three cordless handsets feeding off one base unit.

0 Likes