SImultaneous Ring morphs into Call Forwarding Randomly
dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

I tried the Simultaneous Ring (SR) Feature, and it "worked" for a while flawlessly.  I actually enjoyed using the "feature." When it works, calls go to my land line and if I do not answer to Verizon Voice Mail (VVM). if I don't answer, and I receive notification on my cell that I have received a call, and I have the option to answer it from my cell. It appears as a missed call on the cell but that works for me.

But SR started having a very strange behavior of randomly turning itself off and turning on CALL FORWARDING (CF) instead in my "Calling Features on the My Verizon web page. CALL FORWARDING is not what I want. WIth CF on, calls do not go to VVM, but instead go to my cell phone.  I tried to get the ring times set up so my land line picked up after 2 rings, and I set my cell phone to the longest delay before picking up. SInce the new year started, I have been keeping tabs on the SR feature and it's settings seldom "stay set correctly." FYI,  I seldom use my cell, and to the cell phone voice mail which I have not set up on purpose.

Any ideas why SR turns off and CF turns itself on? Why is this happening? Seems like a bug to me. I went round and round with the techs at Verizon but never got any answer why or how to fix this broken featureless claimed the issue was probably not their fault (they indirectly blamed the cell phone). FYI, the reason I liked using the feature was that my cell phone reception is spotty in my own home and a I seldom use it. Frequently it has no bars showing inside my house. 

I guess I will have to abandon my strategy and stop using SR, and feel once again that my cell phone is an almost totally useless device, and Verizon is not really interested in helping me figure this out.

Any helpful ideas are appreciated.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: SImultaneous Ring morphs into Call Forwarding Randomly
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dandeliondigita wrote:

I tried the Simultaneous Ring (SR) Feature, and it "worked" for a while flawlessly.  I actually enjoyed using the "feature." When it works, calls go to my land line and if I do not answer to Verizon Voice Mail (VVM). if I don't answer, and I receive notification on my cell that I have received a call, and I have the option to answer it from my cell. It appears as a missed call on the cell but that works for me.

I use "SR" in exactly the same way.  I've never had it switch to call forwarding.  I did have to adjust the number of rings on Verizon's voice mail to make sure it picks up before my cell phone's voice mail; but other than that it has worked flawlessly for me.

If you're seeing the change from "SR" to "CF" on the calling features web page, that does suggest something is wrong at Verizon's end.  You'll need to keep working with them to fix the issue.  Maybe a complete "reset" of your service would fix it.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I am sure am happy to hear that it works for someone. So far I am so frustrated. I might wait until the end of the month {word filter avoidance} I call V techs with a talley of the number of times this happened in a month! Maybe that will get their attention.

To your knowledge is there anything you would try to do to "fix" the issue? I'm thinking I will make the number of rings to Verizon voicemail "1"? I sure wish I could interrupt voicemail like I used to do with the answering machines of yore.

So long for now, TOM

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dandeliondigita wrote:

To your knowledge is there anything you would try to do to "fix" the issue? I'm thinking I will make the number of rings to Verizon voicemail "1"? I sure wish I could interrupt voicemail like I used to do with the answering machines of yore.

I had some problems with voice mail not working properly when I added a 2nd line a few month ago.  One call to Verizon's techs fixed the issue.

FiOS Digital Voice does have Voice Mail Screening.  I've not used it, but I understand it's supposed to allow you to hear the message as it's being left and connect to the call if you wish.  It's on the Voice Mail settings.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had an interesting incident today. My cell phone battery had died totally, and even though the settings for SR were engaged correctly, the phone call CFed, range through to my cell phone voice mail! THis points to problems with my cell phone reception when I look back. The newest phone has worse reception than the 2+ year old model flip phone it replaced! Also has worse battery performance.

I shut off SR and am going to be speaking with the cell phone provider about this phone. The older model never did this. BTW, this is the second one they sent me, Motorola WX416 is trouble the Motorola WX345 it replaced worked like a dream.

Thanks much for the pointer on the call screening. SOunds like something I can use.

It's always something.

So long for now, TOM

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

@dandeliondigita wrote:

I had an interesting incident today. My cell phone battery had died totally, and even though the settings for SR were engaged correctly, the phone call CFed, range through to my cell phone voice mail! THis points to problems with my cell phone reception when I look back. The newest phone has worse reception than the 2+ year old model flip phone it replaced! Also has worse battery performance.

I shut off SR and am going to be speaking with the cell phone provider about this phone. The older model never did this. BTW, this is the second one they sent me, Motorola WX416 is trouble the Motorola WX345 it replaced worked like a dream.

Thanks much for the pointer on the call screening. SOunds like something I can use.

It's always something.

So long for now, TOM

When folks use SR between the home phone and a cell phone, if a cell phone VoiceMail picks up because the cell phone is dead, out of range, etc.  SR is not intelligent enough to keep ringing the home phone.  It assumes someone, in this case Voice Mail, answered the phone on the second line and stops ringing the primary landline.

Is there any chance to the OP that someone may have entered the call forwarding code on the phone (I believe is *72)

Jim

dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I do think that my poor reception and possibly a defective phone could be at the heart of this.

I am aware of this:

quote: 

Is there any chance to the OP that someone may have entered the call forwarding code on the phone (I believe is *72)

I made sure Call Forwarding is off on the cell phone and on the home verizon line. I haven't as verizon for a total reset yet. Maybe I need to do that.

What is odd is that the switching occurs on the verizon web settings to turn off SR and turn on CF what appears to be totally at random. This is happening consistently. Verizon didn't tell me why. I'd love to know why. Is it conclusive that this shoud happen if the cell phone has lost it's connection?

It just happened again, and I am missing calls as a result. So I guess I need to shut SR & CF off until I know for sure if my cell phone is the problem.

0 Likes
dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

You said:

If you're seeing the change from "SR" to "CF" on the calling features web page, that does suggest something is wrong at Verizon's end.  You'll need to keep working with them to fix the issue.  Maybe a complete "reset" of your service would fix it.

I have been checking my Calling Settings on "My Verizon" web page at least two times a day now for more than 2 weeks, and  keeping a diary of the way the settings are when I do usually once early in the morning and once late in the afternoon. It's quite amazing. Out of 29 checks, in what appears to be a very random pattern, half were OK with setting as I set them, SR ring ON, CF off, and half were incorrect where SR was turned off and CF was turned on "magically" on it's own.

So do you think this means I really have something wrong with verizon? And I need to confront them directly and ask for a reset?

I just purchased a new cell phone and it hasn't been delivered yet. I was hoping it might fix the weirdness. Even though it's not a verizon phone, the cell phone provider appears to be using their network.

What should I do?

0 Likes
dandeliondigita
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi all,

I got a new cell phone last week, and since activating it, all the problems I was having with verizon have stopped.

I'm guessing that I either  had a problem phone or else the phone's "reception" problems that I experienced are no longer an issue with my new phone.

Any comments?

0 Likes