Second Line/Separate Cabling for One Phone
crazyfingers

Hi,

I am a FIOS Triple Play user. 

I am setting-up a business in my basement office and need to add a second phone line. I seem to have two options: 

(1) As I understand things, you can add-a-line for about $10/month. That requires no hardware installation. For the second number, all phones in the house will ring with a distinct ring tone. The local/LD services are shared across this number. Installation can easily be done on-line.

(2) For my business calls, I may not want all house phones ringing. In this case, I understand I need a separate physical line run from the box to my phone. Does this require a Verizon rep to install or is it somethig I can do myself if I am comfortable doing basic wiring (which I am). It is a short run froim the box to my phone--probably 15 feet.

I called Verizon about option 2 and the question seems to have stumped everybody. I was surprised by that--seems like a basic question to me.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Second Line/Separate Cabling for One Phone
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@crazyfingers wrote:

... I am setting-up a business in my basement office and need to add a second phone line ... I understand I need a separate physical line run from the box to my phone. Does this require a Verizon rep to install or is it somethig I can do myself if I am comfortable doing basic wiring ... [?]

Basically you can do it yourself.  I have done this in my home.  I added a second Digital Voice line that connects directly to the ONT.  I then was able to  use my existing telco distribution network for the new service.  You can arrange all this over the phone (but very probably not online).  If you need more detail, just ask.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Standard copper phone wiring has four wires 

Diagram showing old-style wire.  T1 = Green, R1= Red, T2 = Black, R2 = Yellow

Green/Red are usually for Line 1

Black/Yellow for line 2

Your ONT needs to be wired up with all four wires, line 1 (which is probably the case today-Green/Red) and then for line 2 (Black/Yellow).  I don't know if VZ has four wires coming out of the ONT or only two.   But those wires coming out of the ONT need to connect into your house wiring.

Then assuming the four wires run throughout all of your house, if you plug a 2 line phone into the jack you would then have dial tone on both lines (assuming the second line is on).

Not sure if this makes sense.  If you want to reference: http://www.wire-your-phones.com/

Jim

0 Likes
crazyfingers

Thanks, Folks. Very helpful.

I find it surprising (pathetic?) that I can't get somebody from Verizon on the phone to answer these types of questions. I was a Cablevision customer for years. They outshine Verizon in terms of customer service by a huge margin.

Oh well...

Thanks again!

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What VZ lacks in support they make up on the quality of the TV Service, MRDVR,  and speed of the Internet.  Those minor annoyances with VZ far outway the superior product you get from VZ.  

Jim