Second Phone Line Self Installation?
SleathBacon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I need to get a second phone line by the end of this week for work related reasons and it's kind of a emergency... The earliest date Verizon has for installation is 4/28/2011 and all I really need is one phone line from the ONT to the phone in my house, no need for any new jacks or anything. I understand that Verizon can activate the new phone line on their end remotely in 1 day but that wouldn't help much without a physical line for the new number. My only other option is to get back cable since they're free as early as Wednesday and I REALLY REALLY DO NOT want to take that route.......

What are my options in terms of running the phone line my self? Is the ONT locked blocking me from simply plugging in a new phone cord? Anyone's family member work at Verizon and can get them to swing by? The last one was a joke.... 😛

Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can give me in regards to this issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Second Phone Line Self Installation?
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

No need to leave Verizon, this can easily be done. The only locked portion of the ONT is where the fiber optic cord connects to it. The customer access side is where you need to be to connect your own phone wiring and run to your NID or to whatever phone jack you need. You could also have a handy man or electrician run the wiring for you. We can get the phone line turned on same day that you call in to place the order if you or a contractor is running the wiring. They can be reached at 1-800-Verizon from 8am-9pm M-F and 9am-5pm Sat. Make sure to tell the sales agent you are running the wire yourself and do not need to have a tech come out. That type of order is called a "Central Office Connect" . Its very straightforward when you tell the sales agent that. If you run into ANY resistance going through that ordering process please private message me.

View solution in original post

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

No need to leave Verizon, this can easily be done. The only locked portion of the ONT is where the fiber optic cord connects to it. The customer access side is where you need to be to connect your own phone wiring and run to your NID or to whatever phone jack you need. You could also have a handy man or electrician run the wiring for you. We can get the phone line turned on same day that you call in to place the order if you or a contractor is running the wiring. They can be reached at 1-800-Verizon from 8am-9pm M-F and 9am-5pm Sat. Make sure to tell the sales agent you are running the wire yourself and do not need to have a tech come out. That type of order is called a "Central Office Connect" . Its very straightforward when you tell the sales agent that. If you run into ANY resistance going through that ordering process please private message me.

SleathBacon
Enthusiast - Level 1

You replied just in time, I had the Cable people coming today for installation and just canceled the appointment. My ONT was installed outside of my house so I never actually saw the box and stress caused me to not search the web like I normally would for answers. After doing a little bit of research thanks to your advice I now understand what I need to do for the second line, I'm getting the phone line cord and will run it myself this week! This takes a HUGE weight off my shoulders so once again thank you.

If anyone has the same question and finds this in the future, here's some information and a picture in regards to your ONT insides..... http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/troubleshooting/connection+issues/questionsone... 

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Glad to have been of assistance and to keep you as a customer!  Please reach out anytime you need us

0 Likes
Notsatch

Anthony,

I am going to need a separate line with a separate phone number to my home office for work. Does this same process apply?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
esar1231

I have  a Fios bundle package (TV,Internet,Phone). But I need a second phone line without the Fios. I need the old basic phone line with no features. How can I wire the second line?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If Verizon removed the copper wiring to your home when they put FiOS in your home, it's going to be tough unless there's special circumstances to get a POTS Loop hooked up. More than likely Verizon is going to tell you they want to provision a second line on your ONT with nothing special added to the line.

0 Likes