Re: Setting up a fax machine HELP!
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

Lidge,

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you.  Tonya D.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have found and have had great luck with these settings, feel free to try them.  as long as the jack is good (IE you have dialtone) then these settings should fix it.

• Slow down the transmission speed. Set the BAUD rate of the fax machine to 9600 bps or even lower (7200 bps would be the next lower setting).
• Turn off or disable ECM (error correction mode),a setting, usually defaulted on, that many fax machines have.
Test faxing by using the HP Test Fax Service:
• You can use the following number to test your fax and get a response fax sent right back to you. Send a one page blank fax to 1-888-473-2963 (1-888-hpfaxme). After receipt of your fax, the test fax will generate a return back to you with acknowledgement that your fax was received. You should receive this fax within 5 minutes. 

1. Settings to fax over VoIP for Canon fax machines.
  2. Try these settings to for VoIP for Panasonic fax machines.
  3. When faxing over VoIP with a Brother Fax machine make these settings changes.
0 Likes
cgperry1

I'm having the exact same experience as syasturi, except that the Verizon tech was super nice and seemed to know what he was talking about.  HOWEVER, they seem eager to say it's an issue with the fax machines, and discount the fact that the only time anyone ever bothers to contact VErizon tech support is when all other options have been exhausted.

My problem is that since I upgraded my internet speed to quantum, my faxing doesn't work.  The rep said at first that he thought it could be a Verizon setting and he could resolve it; then he decided it wasn't.  We got through enough troublehsooting for him to see that the fax machine does not even connect to make a handshake on the line.  What he didn't do was to stay with me long enough for me to plug the fax machine into a DIFFERENT line (which, btw, is OOMA, a digital VoIP line) where it works just fine.  The fax transmitted just fine over a different line, whcih leads to the logical conclusion that there's something with the VERIZON line preventing me from sending or receiving faxes.

I tried all their troubleshooting that I could, and I'm really dismayed (not to mention unable to do communicate  properly) with Verizon.  

HOPE YOU FOLKS WILL READ AND RESPPOND///

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@cgperry wrote:

...  since I upgraded my internet speed to quantum, my faxing doesn't work ... the fax machine does not even connect to make a handshake on the line ... The fax transmitted just fine over a different line, whcih leads to the logical conclusion that there's something with the VERIZON line preventing me from sending or receiving faxes ...

Your earlier posts indicate that you have 50 Mbps, so I assume that's the upgrade you refer to.  I have the same speed tier and absolutely no issues sending or getting fax.  However ...

First, how do you use fax?  Are you using a standalone device, an "all-in-one" device, software on a PC, etc.?  Please be specific with respect to wiring, model numbers, etc., as much as possible.  I assume you've made no changes in the setup after getting the new speed tier, but please confirm.

Second, and I'm sure you already know this, you must set up the phone line options on the MyVerizon pages or with a handset, and the fax send/receive options on the device itself.  This is particularly the case when receiving, although your post seems to indicate primarily a send error.

Finally please describe in detail the sequence and the error messages.  All this information adds to the mix and helps, so let's try it.

0 Likes
leberk1

My FAX stopped working a few days ago when Verizon FIOS voluntarily upgraded FIOS to higher bandwidth. I bought a new HP 8620 PRO and FAX still did not work. 

My Solution is to connect FAX Printer direct to phone line, but temporarily leave phone equipment disconnected until FAX operation is complete, then restore phone eqpt to normal connection..

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a fax machine
leberk1

I had same problem.  Disconnecting phone eqpt, and leaving Printer FAX  as only connection to phone line, the FAX works fine.

Also later found that reinstalling the old DSL filter between the FAX and the phone line allows the FAX to work okay..

0 Likes
stevepd1

hubrisnxs has the BEST ANSWER:

"‎03-18-2013 01:21 PM

I have found and have had great luck with these settings, feel free to try them.  as long as the jack is good (IE you have dialtone) then these settings should fix it.

• Slow down the transmission speed. Set the BAUD rate of the fax machine to 9600 bps or even lower (7200 bps would be the next lower setting).

• Turn off or disable ECM (error correction mode),a setting, usually defaulted on, that many fax machines have.
Test faxing by using the HP Test Fax Service:
• You can use the following number to test your fax and get a response fax sent right back to you. Send a one page blank fax to 1-888-473-2963 (1-888-hpfaxme). After receipt of your fax, the test fax will generate a return back to you with acknowledgement that your fax was received. You should receive this fax within 5 minutes."

AWESOME ANSWER!  Totally worked for my two HP All-in-One Printers (7500 and 8600).  Why don't the Verizon techs know this?  HP has to be one of the most common, if not the largest install base, in the USA.  Thank you for this great answer.  I tried to give you Kudos but the system would not let me. 

0 Likes
Re: Setting up a fax machine
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes