Setting up voicemail for first time
Bwangster12

So I had Fios triple play installed this weekend, despite everything going smoothly, I'm having trouble setting up my voicemail.  When I dial my access number (888-2FIOSVM) I am told the following:

Enter your 10 digit phone number and then press #.  When i do that I am told "that wasn't a valid phone number or group list number."

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Setting up voicemail for first time
csimwil322
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the feedback.  It turns out they "forgot" to provide me with voicemail, which was included in my bundle.  In any event, it is now setup.  I would suggest to anyone with a similar problem to select "new orders" when calling the Verizon Customer Support Center, as opposed to just reporting it to Technical Support (an option on the phone call).  You'll get faster service reporting it as a problem with your new order.

View solution in original post

Jamesh2011

I have the same problem. Looks like I'm sticking with the answering machine.

0 Likes
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Please contact the orders department or tech support. Usually when that happens the voicemail was never built into the order before it was submitted.

0 Likes
LW
Enthusiast - Level 2

This goes beyond the supposed problem mentioned here. In addition to this also happening to me, the number I was given takes me to a message that tells me to enter my 10-digit phone number, yet the instructions given to me by Verizon indicate that I am supposed to enter my starter passcode, and these same instructions don't even mention whether or not the POUND sign should be pressed. This is simply UNACCEPTABLE! I shouldn't have to spend so much time on hold with that horrible music that loops constantly after a few seconds. I've also spent way too much time waiting for the online chat. I'm really disappointed and quite disgusted. When I talked to someone in Billing yesterday, she promised that she would add FiOS Voice Mail to my order (even though it was supposed to be what I had already ordered)...so either she didn't actually add voice mail to my services or the instructions are just wrong. I'm not sure why I should stay a Verizon customer.

0 Likes
LW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update to my previous posting: The first problem (when I called Billing today) is that the person I talked to yesterday hadn't actually added FiOS Voice Mail to my account, so the person I talked to today promised that she would add it. I guess I'll see in about 30 minutes if it has actually been added this time. The second problem remains that the instructions I was given don't actually tell someone specifically what to do when activating the Voice Mail inbox. On the instructions, there is no mention of entering the 10-digit phone number first (which is the voice prompt when the number is dialed), so it's just more confusing than it needs to be. I can't understand why there isn't a set of instructions for activating the voice mail inbox and then a separate set of instructions for people who have already activated their voice mail inbox. Oh well, that's just how it is, I guess. (I'm still miffed at the fact that when I ordered my service on line a couple of weeks ago, no one actually checked to make sure that the order was actually set up like it was supposed to be.)

0 Likes
csimwil322
Enthusiast - Level 2

I spent 75 minutes on hold listening to that pathetic music before I finally hung up.  I have the same exact problem.  How are you supposed to contact customer support if no one answers the phone ?!?

0 Likes
Nickoo

See related thread on setting up voicemail....we are a growing communitySmiley Mad

Nickoo

0 Likes
CapnCrunch
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
csimwil322
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the feedback.  It turns out they "forgot" to provide me with voicemail, which was included in my bundle.  In any event, it is now setup.  I would suggest to anyone with a similar problem to select "new orders" when calling the Verizon Customer Support Center, as opposed to just reporting it to Technical Support (an option on the phone call).  You'll get faster service reporting it as a problem with your new order.

Motya63

I'm having the same problem.   I call the same number to try and access my voicemail, they want the phone # and not the passcode that the documentation describes, but it doesn't matter since the system doesn't recognize my number.  The outsourced "live chat" help is totally useless, so they gave me a phone number I have to call during the day -- hope my boss doesn't mind me being on hold for an hour.  Verizon support is really a joke -- I thought you couldn't get worse than Comcast but maybe I was wrong....

0 Likes