Suddenly huge amounts of bogus calls.
Schenectadian
Enthusiast - Level 1

Beginning this morning, I've been receiving hundreds of bogus calls. By that I mean calls with faked, mostly local area code, caller IDs. As many as 4 a minute. Unfortunately they leave brief, empty messages, clogging my voicemail (which is limited to 50 messages). I've also received response calls (a small percentage) from users responding to spoofed calls from my phone number. No useful advice from Verizon customer services.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Suddenly huge amounts of bogus calls.
jonjones1
Legend

Alas this is happening to almost everyone even though there are laws out there that say they can’t do it. Number spoofing is getting worse, the fcc is trying to go after these scammers but they come from bots offshore or from countries that the US cannot do anything about.

the best you can do is change the phone number and hope it’s not like the last number you had, get nomorerobo on your phone which stops that type of harassment.

there are apps for cell phones that work as well. 

Even though verizon is the original phone company (bell system) they will do nothing.

they are paid money for transporting phone and fax calls over their network.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

Alas this is happening to almost everyone even though there are laws out there that say they can’t do it. Number spoofing is getting worse, the fcc is trying to go after these scammers but they come from bots offshore or from countries that the US cannot do anything about.

the best you can do is change the phone number and hope it’s not like the last number you had, get nomorerobo on your phone which stops that type of harassment.

there are apps for cell phones that work as well. 

Even though verizon is the original phone company (bell system) they will do nothing.

they are paid money for transporting phone and fax calls over their network.

golddigger1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It is not related but you can use call blockers if you recieve calls from the same number again and again . FiOS Digital Voice has increased call block limit from 10 to 100

JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2

Dave's carpet cleaning robocalls 3x, same timestamp, daily. When I look at the call logs, they are my neighbors numbers!!!!!!!spoofed!!!!! So, sending number to blocked call list won't work!!!

Agree it has gotten worse. How about making call center digital calls illegal? Just marketing deal annoying residents!

steiff4ever
Enthusiast - Level 1

Best landline phone I ever bought.  Blocks all those annoying telemarketers before they even get through.    Amazon....  

AT&T CL82207 DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone with Answering System & Smart Call Blocker, Silver/Black with 2 Handset

MarkLibrary
Enthusiast - Level 1

YES.  This is so disturbing since it interrupts us throughout the day.  as we are older, we rest or take naps and these phone calls are terrible.  We can no longer answer our phone.  Should we cancel our landline?  I thought the State or Federal GOV was going to do something.   Please try.  THanks. 

JRTEMT
Contributor - Level 2
  • So asked Verizon to cancel landline. Price will INCREASE to DECREASE bundle??????  

Ok then. Unplugged all landline phones. Removed jacks. Ripped his off house. Recorded message for voicemail explaining what I did. Leave messages, I can playback from TV or PC, nightly.  Still got over 15 .04second messages! Will report back if this remedy works. Just miss my huge contact list with professional numbers like dr, dentist, mechanic,etc.  Back to paper on fridge!!!

0 Likes
RocRizzo

They can do EVERYTHING to block these callers. They are all on IP phone, and their IP addresses can be traced from the central office, and the addresses can be then blocked. Verizon CHOOSES to do nothing.

They can charge for a service that does this on their mobile phones, but because they are trying to get rid of land line service, they do nothing for their land line customers.

And I don't get where they charge people for the service of not getting scam phone calls.  Greed is all I can think.
The FCC will do nothing. Not as long as they have a Verizon executive as the head of the agency, so count out any action by the Federal government on this any time soon.

0 Likes
bevybev

Followed all of the instructions from this forum and still, some of my blocked numbers are still going through!

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Even with the best of technology a small percentage will get through.

the big issue is for years the phone companies sold phone service to customers and at the same time never policed the customers who bought their services. It was to maximize profits. 

Now the FCC states carriers must get these phone scammers off their service. However off shore scammers will continue to cause problems with all phone customers. Eventually the phone providers will shut them down. But it takes time.

now remember as phone companies catch up with these bottom feeders it will get better.