Testing at the NID
EdPell

Testing at the NID

Landline problem:
- no phones in the house have a dial tone
- callers hear the typical "ringing" sound, but the destination phone does not actually ring
- sometimes callers get a busy signal
- bypassed the answering machine - no difference

Tried to test the line at the Network Interface Device (NID)
The NID instructions and diagrams on the Verizon web site are very limited making them virtually useless.
I opened the NID and found two small doors that swung open to the right each exposing a female phone jack.
I tried to insert a male end (connected to a phone, naturally), but it would not slide in easily and click as it does in any other phone jack.
Inside the female opening, there appears to be a thin curved copper wire that may be what is preventing a solid connection.

Somewhere I read that something in the NID has to be disconnected before the phone jack can be plugged in. I didn't see anything that can be disconnected.

How can I test this to determine if the problem is with the internal phone(s) or with Verizon?

Thanks
EdP

0 Likes
Re: Testing at the NID
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The two female jacks are for line one and line two. Try testing for dialtone in the second test jack. The copper wire that you see in the one should not be there. Its a physical obstruction that would have to be moved out of the way in order to test. If you need further assistance after having this information, please send me a private message.

0 Likes
EdPell
Anthony ... Thanks for the response. This problem is at my uncle's house. I should be able to get there within the next couple of days when I can make another attempt. Question: I cannot find a way to include an image in a post or in a private message. Apparently images are not allowed - is that true? EdP
0 Likes
EdPell

Anthony ...

It turns out that the jacks in the NID are RJ45, not RJ11.

I understand that RJ45 jacks are used in commmercial applications, but this is a residence.

I checked with Radio Shack and on the 'net for an RJ11 to RJ45 converter, but had no luck. Seeing as how I can't test the line myself as Verizon demands, what now? 

Thanks
EdP

0 Likes
N0ZIREV

In March 2011 a Verizon field tech rebuilt my NID because I was having service problems every time it rained. He apparently replaced the RJ11 jack with an RJ45 and I have the same problem you are having. I was able to hold my RJ11 male connection in place by hand and then get a dial tone at the NID, however, this was awkward and essentially requires two people to test at the NID (one to hold the RJ11 in place and the other to dial the phone/hold the receiver).

0 Likes
EdPell
Seeing as how I could not get a dial tone, I called and told them I could not get a dial tone, but didn't tell them why. They came two days earlier than scheduled and repaired whatever ailed the connection. I received an automated message on my answering machine that the problem was with the cable from the central office to the street. Makes me wonder why the testing from their office to the house was undetermined and required an on-site technician to make that determination. In any case, the problem is fixed - it's the second time there was a problem at the pole. Musta been caused by what the Brits call "tree rats".
0 Likes