Turn voice mail on or off
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

My sister & I both have printers with fax capability. I have FIOS everything. Tonight, I was able to send a fax to her, but when she tried to send a fax to me, she told me that my voicemail picked up. I listened to the various options in the voicemail menu, but there was no option for turning on & off the voice mail. How do I do that?

Thank you.

David 

0 Likes
Re: Turn voice mail on or off
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@pcnerd wrote:

My sister & I both have printers with fax capability. I have FIOS everything. Tonight, I was able to send a fax to her, but when she tried to send a fax to me, she told me that my voicemail picked up. I listened to the various options in the voicemail menu, but there was no option for turning on & off the voice mail. How do I do that?

Thank you.

David 

David,

There is no way to "turn off" the Verizon voicemail.  At this time, if you want voicemail not to pick up there are a couple of options:

1. Change the ring count
  2. Have the voicemail feature removed from your account

Option 1 can be done through the menu.  Option 2 would require contact with the sales/billling department so that the feature can be properly removed from your account.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the reply. How does changing the ring count "turn off" voicemail? What should the ring count be in order to turn off the voice mail? I've been thinking about paying for call forwarding & having all of my calls forwarded to my cell phone. I'm paying for visual voice mail, but I'm not using it. I like the visual voice mail more than the "standard" voicemail. Do you know if removing the voicemail will reduce my monthly bill or not?

Thank you.

David 

0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

@pcnerd wrote:

Thanks for the reply. How does changing the ring count "turn off" voicemail? What should the ring count be in order to turn off the voice mail? I've been thinking about paying for call forwarding & having all of my calls forwarded to my cell phone. I'm paying for visual voice mail, but I'm not using it. I like the visual voice mail more than the "standard" voicemail. Do you know if removing the voicemail will reduce my monthly bill or not?

Thank you.

David 

pcnerd,

Changing the ring count doesn't turn the voicemail system off.  What it does is allow the fax machine (which would presumably be set to a lower ring count [i.e. 4 rings vs. the VM system's 6 rings]) to engage before the voicemail system does.

As for removing voicemail from your account, that all depends.  Typically, FiOS FTTP Voice plans include voicemail for free, so removing it would not affect your bill either way.  However, for confirmation of this I would highly recommend speaking to a representative in your local billing office.  PM me if you need the #.

Regards,

Chris

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks. I checked out the manual & my printer has a fax priority mode. That's the only way I can set the ring count. I'll have to check it out.

0 Likes