Unauthorized person cancelled my phone service: how do I get evidence to prosecute ?
duppy2

At around 10:45 am on February 27 2012 I tried to use our home telephone landline 732-xxx-yyyyy.  All I got was "dead air".  So I called Verizon Repair Service.  Who investigated and told me that the account had been cancelled.  

This cancellation was not authorized AND I WANT TO FIND OUT as much information as possible on who did it. All the information I could get out of the Verizon agent I spoke with was that the cancel order had been made online, and that the order was in some way associated with the address x y  Road.

A report of the incident has been filed with my local police station. The policeman who took the report advised me to contact Verizon to try to trace the person who cancelled the service.  Is there any phone number at Verizon for this issue ?

If the cancel order was made online, it sounds as though the person doing the cancellation managed to hack into my account ? Or can any Tom Dick or Jane log on and cancel anyone else's account ? 

Anyway, I would appreciate either a Verizon e-mail address or a Verizon postal address that I can write to request all possible information on this fraudulent cancellation that obviously involved identity theft by whoever posed as me.  Hopefully the cancellation required a phone call in which the voice of the person cancelling was recorded.

Any ideas on how to get information that might identify the person who cancelled my account ? (I have a very good idea of who the person is, and that person is not a friend playing a prank... but the cops said it was insufficient to prosecute... so I am just looking around for any little bit of additional data that might nail him).

0 Likes
Re: Unauthorized person cancelled my phone service: how do I get evidence to prosecute ?
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello dupp2

We will try and get some information for you. It is likely that you will be contacted by private message or email, by a Verizon agent.

0 Likes
Re: Unauthorized person cancelled my phone service: how do I get evidence to prosecute ?
Adam_VZ
Contributor - Level 2

duppy2,

I've sent you a PM to collect some account specific information so we can take a look at see what happened here. 

-adam

0 Likes
duppy2

Thanks for replying to my post. Sorry for my delay in replying to you.  I look forward to hearing further.

0 Likes