VCA Eligibility Requirements and Download Locations
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Please post any questions about eligibility for VCA and where to download here.

0 Likes
Has ANYBODY ever managed to sign up online for call Assistant??
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If so could they please post here which link they followed to be able to do this.

I've tried calling the business office but that is pretty useless too as they don't appear to have heard of the product.

0 Likes
Curious about Verizon Call Assistance
CuriousVCA
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am interested in the Verizon Call Assistance service for home use.  Is it offered for residentual users or just business users?   Also if offered for res users how do you enroll into it?   Verizon doesnt seem to have clear information about this service.  When calling local number they never heard of it before.   Is it only offered for certain locations?

Thanks for any information about this service

0 Likes
Re: Curious about Verizon Call Assistance
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2
0 Likes
Re: Curious about Verizon Call Assistance
CuriousVCA
Enthusiast - Level 1

Called 1888 483 5156 and was informed that my area does not offer VCA and will probably not offer it for some time. 

0 Likes
Re: Has ANYBODY ever managed to sign up online for call Assistant??
CrustyViewer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have. Call assistant seemed like a good idea at the time but after a couple months it lost it's luster.

It seems like almost everything else Verizon gets involved in outside of their base products, C-A was underdeveloped and in need of further refinement. A call to Verizon about a problem with it ususally brought amazement by the person at the other end that Verizon even had such a program! Go figure.

In the end, control over the recorded calls was the issue that spoiled the program for me. All deletions had to be done over the phone- not on my computer at a Verizon site ( this was the kind of needed software refinement I'm talking about ) and the program became burdensome. The lack of tech support and the feeling that I was immursed in some kind of experiment to see if A-S was technically viable led me to eventually cancel it.

Looking back there was great promise to the program: the idea that you could view calls coming in on your Verizon connected TV seemed futuristic and added excitement to my new Verizon triple-Play hook-up. But the A-S promise of making telephone communication easier ended up just being a pipe-dream as far as I was concerned.

One last thing: I think there was a charge for the service- not much, maybe $4-$5 per month - but it was just 'salt in the wound' to me. The program wasn't  'free' so I felt cheated somehow. I was paying for a product that Verizon wasn't supporting or further developing. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth that is still there today. So think twice before you leap.

Now this was a year ago that I singed-up for the program. Maybe it's been improved by now although I doubt it. There would be a push by Verizon to get us to sign-up if A-S had come of age and that isn't happening.

0 Likes
Re: Has ANYBODY ever managed to sign up online for call Assistant??
Justin46
Legend

@CrustyViewer wrote:

I have. Call assistant seemed like a good idea at the time but after a couple months it lost it's luster.

It seems like almost everything else Verizon gets involved in outside of their base products, C-A was underdeveloped and in need of further refinement. A call to Verizon about a problem with it ususally brought amazement by the person at the other end that Verizon even had such a program! Go figure.

In the end, control over the recorded calls was the issue that spoiled the program for me. All deletions had to be done over the phone- not on my computer at a Verizon site ( this was the kind of needed software refinement I'm talking about ) and the program became burdensome. The lack of tech support and the feeling that I was immursed in some kind of experiment to see if A-S was technically viable led me to eventually cancel it.

Looking back there was great promise to the program: the idea that you could view calls coming in on your Verizon connected TV seemed futuristic and added excitement to my new Verizon triple-Play hook-up. But the A-S promise of making telephone communication easier ended up just being a pipe-dream as far as I was concerned.

One last thing: I think there was a charge for the service- not much, maybe $4-$5 per month - but it was just 'salt in the wound' to me. The program wasn't  'free' so I felt cheated somehow. I was paying for a product that Verizon wasn't supporting or further developing. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth that is still there today. So think twice before you leap.

Now this was a year ago that I singed-up for the program. Maybe it's been improved by now although I doubt it. There would be a push by Verizon to get us to sign-up if A-S had come of age and that isn't happening.

I have had VCA for well over a year now, works pretty well for me. But unfortunately I do not remember the process I used to get access to it Smiley Very Happy However:

1) Here is a link to the VCA website: Link On that page is a link to where you are supposed to be able to check availability and sign up. I think I used that process but am not sure, I do know I did not have to call anybody to get VCA.

2) VCA has two distinct parts;

2a) A PC client that will pop-up on your PC the calling name and number just before the phone starts to ring. This client can also be used to delete old calls, but it is only one call at a time. The PC client is optional, it is not required to install/run it to have VCA (but of course if you want to have the caller id info pop on your PC then you must have the client running).

2b) The VCA website itself. Once logged in, you can view and delete calls (delete multiple calls at a time).

3) I do not use voicemail so I have never tried to use the voicemail capabilities of VCA, but there are some.

4) The VCA website has been promising new features for months, nothing at all has happened that I know of, no new functions, features, etc. I even received an email on 11/9/2009 saying that on 11/17/2009 there will be a new version of the PC client with new functions - nada. And no further communication to explain the failure - dumb!

5) VCA is free, no charge. I don't know why you would say there is a charge, there most certainly is not.

6) There is a VCA hotline - 1-888-483-5156, I used that number back when I first signed up for VCA and had a few problems, the folks were very helpful and fixed me up. I have seen posts from others though that say they have not been able to get any help at that number.

7) I have Caller ID on TV here in North Texas. As far as I know it is only available in North Texas for now. This feature may (or may not) depend on having VCA, I don't know.

Hope this helps.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Verizon is getting old!
TEM3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had to enter my Verizon.com user id and password three times to get here to respond to this thread.  Their websites stink (especially Verizon.com) and I still don't understand why there are STILL two web sites (.net and .com) and why I have to log into each separately!

Anyway the VCA client, at least to me, is a joke.  It will install but not run on my main computer running Vista 64x.  I installed it this afternoon on a Windows XP Laptop and it runs, but I have yet to find any use for it.  I was told you could use it to block calls (specific numbers), but if you can, I cannot find the way to do it.  Any other function just seems to take you to the web page which you can access easily (well, kind of...) without the client!

I have called the listed number for help and gave up after waiting 15 minutes or more for an agent to pick up.

I have sent several emails with questions and requests for help and have received nothing back.

I have Time Warner at my vacation home in SC, including their version of digital phone.  Their system/software will pop up an incoming call caller ID on your TV.  That, at least, is a little useful. 

Maybe Comcast was not so bad after all.....

0 Likes
Re: Verizon is getting old!
Justin46
Legend

@TEM3 wrote:

.... but I have yet to find any use for it.

For me it has two functions that I have found useful in the past:

1) Pop-up the caller id info on my PC.

2) View and manage my list of previous calls without logging into the website.

I no longer use the PC client since I do have caller id on my TV; the computer and TV are in the same room and pretty much always both on at the same time. And I do not use voicemail at all, I much prefer using my existing answering machine.

The application does come across as a half-implemented application, and is missing quite a bit of function that Verizon has said on the VCA website would be available "soon." Maybe next year?????

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
call assistant
jp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone know where to download call assistant.?  I have it on one computer and want to install it on another, but I can't find where to download it to install it

thanks

0 Likes