Verizon Discontinuing Call Assistant. **bleep**
techmasterflash
Contributor - Level 1

I rely on email notifications for voicemails left at my residence. It's been riddled with problems, but it worked for the most part. Less service for the same price. Great model to follow.

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,  

Our records indicate you are currently subscribed to Verizon Call Assistant. We are writing to inform you that on or after January 18, 2014, Verizon will no longer be providing this service.

Verizon Call Assistant allows you to keep track of your incoming calls and voicemail messages online or using a desktop application on your computer.  After Verizon call Assistant is discontinued, you will be unable to access or retrieve your call logs, voice mail, or address book from your Verizon Call Assistant account. 

Verizon Call Assistant is provided at no charge and retirement of this service will not affect your Verizon bill.

Thank you for choosing Verizon as your communications provider.  We apologize for any inconvenience associated with this change and look forward to continuing to serve you for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Your Verizon Team

Re: Verizon Discontinuing Call Assistant. **bleep**
danki
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agreed on everything you say. I had a lot of trouble getting it to work initially, and the Verizon staff wasn't of much help, but when it did work it was nice. I wonder why they got rid of it. I hope Verizon does better with their work for the feds.

noworries1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have used call assistant for several years and found this feature very useful, especially when I am away from home.  I guess I can have my calls forwarded to my cell, but I don't want to do that because most of the calls I get at home are from telemarketers (now that the 'do not call registry' has become a joke) and non profits.  Its been very convienent to be able to see if I got any calls I want to return without having to constantly check my voicemail. Its also good for Googling the phone number to see who is calling by just copying and pasting on the computer.

Once again Verizon removes a useful feature from its service and then tells us how they look forward to serving us.  I agree, less service for the same price.

techmasterflash
Contributor - Level 1

I use it for the very same applications. Very dissapointed!

0 Likes
garlicbulb1

Time to switch to Ooma

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@techmasterflash wrote:

I rely on email notifications for voicemails left at my residence. It's been riddled with problems, but it worked for the most part. Less service for the same price. Great model to follow.

You apparently are on the traditional voice service.  FiOS Digital Voice has similar capabilities for notifications that are much more reliable than Call Assistant.  It also allows for playing the voicemails remotely using the My FiOS app on tablets and phones, or on a PC for playing the voicemail through the browser.

I switched to DV last January and have never looked back.  It lowered my bundle price, gave me more reliable service (like more reliable Caller ID on FiOS TV), and provides many more enhanced calling features included in the price.  You might want to check it out.

techmasterflash
Contributor - Level 1
That's great, but when your city doesn't have FIOS, it doesn't make things any better 😉
0 Likes
SunShineCroce
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can't get Fios either. Does anyone else know of an alternative? I so loved my Call Assistant! I have been searching everyone to find another alternative. Please help if anyone knows of another alternative.

greatgoogly
Enthusiast - Level 1

Unfortunately this is probably just the beginning of crippled landline service.  Verizon's Corporate mucky mucks have not made a secret of their wish to dump all landline service (and associated DSL service) in the next few years.  They actually want those of us on landline and/or DSL service to cancel as it gives them more ammunition as their lobbyists push state governments to let them discontinue landline service.  Their master plan is not to expand FIOS service, as a matter of fact their CEO has recently stated unequivocally that there will be no further FIOS expansion.  What they want is to yank everyone's landlines and force them to sign up for service with Verizon Wireless for both telephone and internet.  Of course internet via their LTE network is extremely expensive and has very low data caps, but the investors love it.  The customer as always gets screwed.  Never forget we are "The United Corporations of America".

CoPowers

I am hugely disappointed that they are discontinuing Call Assistant.  Major bummer.  Not terribly surprised as I did experience multiple issues over the years and it was hard to get them resolved.  I too cannot get FiOS.  Now I don't have any reason to keep my Verizon Wireless cell phone.  I have a company iPhone so no other need for it.  Bye Verizon.

0 Likes