Verizon Fax Service
msd3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, 

I've been a Verizon home phone+internet user for almost 5 years. I'm recently buying an HP Officejet all-in-one printer with fax/scan/copy/print capabilities. I've had an all-in-one printer before with scan/copy/print options. Now with the new machine I'll be able to fax. My question is how do I set up the fax service? Do I have to inform Verizon to enable my phone number to receive/send faxes? Or do I have to get a new fax number? How much will the cost be? Is it on a monthly basis? Or does it depend on number of faxes I receive/send? Or will the fax automatically work if I just hook up the cable from the printer to my phone DSL line on the wall?

I'd really appreciate if someone kindly clarifies my queries clearly.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Fax Service
VZ_Ron
Contributor - Level 2

Hey msd, this is out of our scope we do not provide support for setting up printers.  It usually works this way after you connect the printer to the phone jack through the phone line you will be able to send fax but to receive fax from people you have to program your phone number into the printer to receive faxes.  The manual of the printer will have instructions on how to set it up to receive fax. 

0 Likes
DapperDon
Enthusiast - Level 2
So all i have to do is connect the all in one printer to my computer and a phone line and I can send and receive faxes? I thought I needed additional equipment to send and receive faxes using voice over IP.
0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@DapperDon wrote:
So all i have to do is connect the all in one printer to my computer and a phone line and I can send and receive faxes? I thought I needed additional equipment to send and receive faxes using voice over IP.

You have not described your equipment, so it's not possible to make specific comments.  For the record, I have an HP 8500 printer that is probably very similar to the machine described by the OP (almost 3 years ago).  There is no problem using this device to send and receive fax over VZ Digital Voice.  All of the fax configuration is accomplished using the HP software that is specific to your own device.

Note that VZ Digital Voice is technically not a VoIP service but rather a POTS service that is transmitted in part over the Internet.  Sounds like semantics but I assure you that's how it's designed.  For additional discussion look here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Home-Phone-Landline-or-Digital/FiOS-Digital-Voice-VoIP-or-Not-VoIP/m-p/...