Voicemail Disconnect - Stutter Dial Tone, but No Messages
questioner5

On Monday, I was forced to convert my land line from copper phone service to fiber phone service.  Afterward, I got voicemail message light and stutter dial tone.  Called voicemail and was told "no messages".  Called my number from cell phone and after several rings, when it would normally go to voicemail, I got a busy signal.  Contacted Verizon by chat, they reset stutter dial tone, but had to escalate to fix the rest.  By Wednesday, I could leave voicemails. 

However, after I see the message light and hear stutter dial tone, when I call voicemail, I was still getting "no messages".  Contacted Verizon by chat on Thursday, reported no messages.  Stutter dial tone was reset, but had to escalate to fix the rest.  Now on Sunday, problems persist.

I have to record a new greeting after each reset.  I noticed that my greeting does not transfer to what callers hear.  Instead, they hear the automated message, hence the "disconnect" in the subject.

Can anyone help?  Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Voicemail Disconnect - Stutter Dial Tone, but No Messages
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/homephone/getting-started/manage-phone-service

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/user-guide-digital-voice.pdf#page=7

I believe traditional phone over copper lines is not the same on fios digital voice.

look at the second link above to set up voicemail again.

let me know how you make out. 

0 Likes
questioner5

Lawrence,

Thanks for the reply, but no luck.  I called 888-234-6787 and when prompted, entered my phone number.  I got the message: “Sorry, that was not a valid phone number”.

I was told in both online chats with Verizon, that my voicemail number was the same as it has always been.  When I call it, it recognizes my number as legitimate.  However, as I stated before, my greeting is not heard by whoever calls my phone number, instead they get the automated greeting.  So something is still not connected correctly.

I am not sure if this is distinction without a difference, but in the letter I got about my mandatory migration, it said: “This is not Fios voice service.  It is your existing voice service, only provided over fiber-optic lines instead of copper lines, at the same price, terms, and conditions.  If you currently subscribe to basic regulated voice service provided to you over copper facilities, you will continue that same voice service over the new fiber facilities.”

While writing this I noticed that my second ticket is still outstanding even though it had a suspense date of Sunday.  I will pursue that in parallel with any advice here.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Panther-1,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Message Inbox for a message from Verizon_Support. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes