Voicemail indicator light not working
Buckeyegator1

I switched from a local cable company that offered digital phone support and internet etc.  When I switched to Verizon FIOS, my phone indicator lights stopped functioning.  The two systems use the same SDT  signaling, but it does not now work.  I have tried resetting the phone, the voicemail, etc.  But it still continues to malfunction.

I am using Uniden DECT 1560-2 phones.  I have switched back and forth from SDT to FSK several times and that does not work.  I am at wits end on this one.  Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Terry

0 Likes
Re: Voicemail indicator light not working
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3
Buckeyegator Im sorry that you are have that trouble. I have sent you a PM with a secure link so we can get your account information to investigate this.
0 Likes
Larry_from_VA

It works VERY sporadically for me, maybe once for every 100 voice mails. I talked to a Verizon tech about it and he stated that "he hears that a lot from customers" and maybe I'm not exiting the voice mail account properly when I retrieve voice mails. Sounds to me like Verizon needs to do some work to make this service "ready for prime time"!!

0 Likes
Kizzysmom

My vm indicator light is not working either.  All I get is the stutter dial tone.  I have a friend experiencing the same issue.  I found where this used to be solved by using Home Agent, but the version I have of that software doesn't address this issue.  What do we need to do to get this resolved?  Thank you

0 Likes
Buckeyegator1

Apparently this is not ON by default.  I called the support team and they checked and it was not turned on at their end.  She turned it on, I called my phone, and left a message.  Seconds later, the light appeared.  So I suggest you call the support team.

Terry

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

The proper way to exit out of it is to press the * Key repeatedly. That makes sure the message waiting indicators are reset properly. The indicators for visual and audible are turned on with new accounts by default. There are sometimes technical problems that we have to fix. Please let us know if further action is required.

0 Likes
beaups

Bought new Panasonic Dect 6.0 phone. Old Panasonic phone worked fine with Verizon Voice Mail. New phone will only provide stutter tone, no message light or screen indication of new voice mail as with the old phone.

Panasonic says new phone requires FSK signal, not stutter tone. No one in Verizon support recognizes the term FSK. After three conversations I'm giving up. The last Verizon support person claimed I have no such feature on my account in any case....although I've been reciving messages for years and the flashing indicator and screen message have always activated.

I find Verizon the WORST customer support interface in the civilized world, although IF you ever get to talk to someone they try hard to help.

Is it POSSIBLE that Panasonic is marketing a phone whose messaging "alert" features cannot work on the Verizon network? Are they THAT dumb????

0 Likes
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Message waiting indicators are a standardized item across any provider platform. To verify that the visual indicator is still provisioned on your account, plug the old phone back in or check another phone  in the house. Once you verify it working on another phone, we know that means its ok from an account/Verizon standpoint. Then plug your new phone back in. If still not working, the indicator light is broken or using a different technology than the long used standard.

0 Likes
ladyofgrammar

I am having the same problem.  I bought a new phone with a working indicator light.  However, it does not work.  I called Verizon, and the woman, who was really almost rude, said that Verizon could do nothing about it.  I would have to call Uniden.  I did, and the man there said, yes, it should be working.  Even the manual says to contact the Voice Mail provider.  How can I get this light to work?  Uniden says either an envelope should be visible or the letters VM.  Is there a charge from Verizon to have this indicator working?  Please help!!

0 Likes
vms_dude
Enthusiast - Level 2

When you receive a voicemail message, the voicemail platform sends a message to your central office switch to turn on "mwi" (stands for message waiting indicator). When this is done, the switch turns on MWI - which provides your stutter dial tone. This should also force your phone's visual indicator (i.e. the light on your phone) to turn on. If you DO get stutter dialtone, but DO NOT see the light on your phone come on, it is likely not a Verizon issue. If you DO have stutter dialtone, that means that voicemail successfully told the switch to turn on MWI.

Always remember to try to "reset" your MWI. Do this by listening to (or deleting) any current voicemail messages that you have. Then, leave yourself a test message, which should trigger MWI to turn back on.

0 Likes