Website says my current 15 yr old Verizon phone # is not portable?
SaintJohnny

I have Fios Triple Play. I'm in northern NJ. I'm moving by the end of this month May 31 2012. I have been attempting many, many times, to setup a move of my service 1.5 across town, for the past 2-3 weeks. The trouble/aggravation caused by what should be a quite simple procedure is simply beyond ridiculous.

The main problem though, amongst many other smaller problems, seems to be that the Fios transfer/order website will NOT allow me to port my current home DV number to the new address. I repeatedly keep getting this error message stating:

"Sorry, 908-xxx-xxxx cannot be ported.

Contact your local business office for more information.If you choose to continue to place your order online, you will be assigned a new number."

In the many multiple times I've contacted a VZ CS via phone and internet chat, I've been told that nothing can be done about this problem.

I just have to accept any of their lame half remedies. And 'hope' for the best outcome. This is just not an acceptable solution.

I see from searching these forums this problem is shared by quite a few others who have posted here, and their problems were resolved.

I hope it doesn't require the filing of an FCC complaint , as others here had to do, to remedy what should be a simple glitch.

0 Likes
Re: Website says my current 15 yr old Verizon phone # is not portable?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

By any chance, is the new section of town you're moving to serviced by another CO or wouldn't you know? I can see where they might be giving you trouble, but the number should be portable in the area code within the same provider.

0 Likes
SaintJohnny

No, it's all the same central office, as my town is small enough to only have the one.  

When given the option of 4 different new numbers to choose from. The 4 choices are always the same 3 digit exchange, as my current home phone.

And there really isn't any new section of my town either. It's all been pretty well entirely developed. As it's origins date from the mid 1700s. And judging by the architecture of the CO building, it dates from the very early 20th century.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

A friend of mine in Pittsburgh had a similar problem and wanted to keep his phone number.  He ported his number to Vonage so he could keep his number.  Doing something like this may help you keep your number.

Jim

0 Likes