What the technical difference in standard freedom voice vs digital voice?
VZ

I have triple play and have standard freedom voice ( Verizon Freedom Essentials)

I wanted to switch to verizon digital voice purely because i was told this has lower taxes. 1. Is this correct?

When i asked verizon about changing my voice they say they cant and have to change my whole triple play play package (voice, tv and internet) increasing the price signifcantly. 

Can anyone tell me exactly what the technical difference is between verzion freedon voice and verizon digital voice so i can understand if its really worth the upgrade.  I now suspect it isn't.

TIA

0 Likes
Re: What the technical difference in standard freedom voice vs digital voice?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt there are lower taxes.

Freedom voice is a circuit switched phone service.  Digital voice is VoIP.  They sound and perform the same.

Digital voice has web based controls including call logs, call blocking, and voice mail management.  You can get voice mail on your phone, the web, through email, or through an app on a tablet or smart phone.

Digital voice has other calling features such as do not disturb, simultaneous ring, and locate me.

In short, digital voice has lots of neat web based features that standard phone service does not have.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

For most there are lower goverment taxes/fees for Verizon voice.  Except when you renew or they are offering a special they make it hard to switch, and then at other times they force you to switch. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Technically the digital Voice is a modifed VOIP.  Really is the same until it hits your local office (assuming your freedom voice was already handled over a FIOS connection).  But at the office the one uses Ip to a connection close to the person you are calling, from which it may or may not continue as IP to that person.  Freedom uses tradition connection between office (which these days is probably digital although they may be analog) to the Verizon connection close to the person you are calling, from which it depend on how that perons phone is connected.

Verizon digital voice does not offer some options notably collect calls and does require you to always dial with the area code even for you local area.  But you do get a number of services that you would pay for with Freedom voice.  You can retrieve your voicemail and listen to it on your computer and other devies.  They include a international call plan that is much cheaper per minute to many countries.