Why do you have to dial the area code if you are calling from the same area code
MarvKirsch

I am considering switching over to Verizon Digital Voice, I already have Verizon phone service as part of my quad package.  I understand that there are some more features, as well as a reduction of a certain tax resulting in apporx $8 savings per month.  The only drawback, as far as my wife is concerned, is that we would be required to dial the area code even if we are calling next door.  I am curious as to why that is.  I live on Long Island, New York.  Any insight would be helpful.  I have used the speed dial argument, but I am getting resitance.  Thanks in advance.  Marv

0 Likes
Re: Why do you have to dial the area code if you are calling from the same area code
mleduc35651
Contributor - Level 2

Digital Voice is Internet based. The call routes the internet at large and works differently then the old style Copper phone lines

Within the internet based calling the system has no way of paying attention to where you are calling from so it needs the area code to call any number.

0 Likes
Re: Why do you have to dial the area code if you are calling from the same area code
MarvKirsch

OK, that sort of makes sense.  I have friends with Cablevision (local cable company) and when you use their VOIP service, there is no need to call the area code IF you are calling the same area code.  Is Digital Voice a VOIP or is it different, which would answer my latest question.

0 Likes
sector001

the phone companies requires you to dial the area code because they are running out of telephone numbers.  it dont matter what type of line you have. you are always required to dial the area code even if you are calling your neighbor next door.

0 Likes
MarvKirsch

So I assume going forward it will be 10 digit dialing.  I'm guessing that we're getting away with it, but that will go away shortly.  I am going to try to convince my wife to let me make the switch.  Thanks to all.

0 Likes
marc3565
Enthusiast - Level 3

@sector001 wrote:

the phone companies requires you to dial the area code because they are running out of telephone numbers.  it dont matter what type of line you have. you are always required to dial the area code even if you are calling your neighbor next door.

Not all Area codes enforce that rule. It seems to vary quite a bit. Where I am now 716 area code does not require 10 digits . The area is losing population mostly so I doubt that would change any time soon.

As to the comment about Cablevision allowing 7 digit calling... Digital Voice is basically the same as VOIP. I have not heard of any VOIP doing 7 digit dialing. It is possible one of them spent the time and money to program it in but it's pretty rare.

Your best argument is to take your taxes and fees on your Copper phone bill (excluding any sales taxes) and multiply by 12. Then you can make that argument that you will avoid paying that much a year to the government.

0 Likes
MarvKirsch

Now that's a good argument! Thanks

0 Likes
EEEEEE
Enthusiast - Level 3

This isn't totally addressing your concern, but the New York Public Service commission decides what happens when a new area code comes into play... If you remember Rochester used to be 716 but a few years ago when 716 was running out of phone numbers they did an area code split (to give them 585) instead of an overlay.  In Manhattan they have overlays and everyone needs to dial 10 digits (using area codes 212, 917 and 347) so right there you could be calling your next door neighbor and needing to dial the area code. 

0 Likes
MarvKirsch

I am not overly technical, with that said, while I've heard the term "overlay", I do not fully understand the meaning. If there are 2 homes, side by side, and one home has area code 123 and the next door neighbor has area code 456, then there is no argument there,  calling from home 1 to home 2 will require that you dial 10 digits.  Does the term "overlay" come into play when the area code is the same, from home 1 to home 2??  It just seems weird to dial 10 digits when the first 3 are the same.  I think that maybe Long Island is catching up to what other areas already have, and so I'm just not use to it.  Of course that doesn't take into account the reason for dialing a 1 when calling other area codes, which is not used in the wireless world.

Oh oh, I think my head just exploded.

I think that I would need to dial 10 digits, while dialing within the same area code, but would be required to diall 11 digits when dialing outside my area code.  This would be the rule if I convert to the new Verizon digital system.  The current system is operating on the old rules.

Is there a book out there: "Dialing telephone number for Dummies"??  Could come in handy for someone like me. Man Happy

0 Likes
mongobill
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just switched from Vonage and they had a home area code feature that allowed same area code calls, so that whenever you dialed a 7 digit phone # it went through as a local area call.  Don't understand why my new Verizon service can't do that; just makes me think I haven't figured it out yet.