bad FIOS digital voice quality and keep dropping calls
Junwu1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I switched from Optimum (CableVision) triple plan to FIOS triple plan, because I always want the best tech stuff, in Jan 13, 2012. I tested the internet speed, it is very good.

However, I initially didn't pay attention to the voice quality, for I took it for granted that with the FIOS speed, the voice should good.

But soon I found I am wrong, because I begin to find the voice quality bad myself, from my friends calling me. Often the voice quality is good in 1 minute and then the next minute it became bad. And what is rediculous, the calls drops! 

The worst thing happened today when my wife was taking a phone interview from a company that she really wants to work for. The call dropped! She has to call using her cellphone and explain that our phone has a problem recently. That was so bad. And what is embarrasing is when the call is not dropped, but the voice are bad, you cannot hear clearly what the interviewer is asking.

Both I and my wife work at home, we need very good internet connection and voice. That wa sthe initial reason for me to switching to FIOS.

Is there are way I can get better voice with FIOS? I don't understand how could the CableVision digital voice be better than this FIOS digital voice? I use the same phone with CableVision.  I have two wired phones. So it is not problem of cordles phone. Maybe FIOS have good speed, but bad QOS?

I really need to find a solution for this. I work at home using these phones.

Re: bad FIOS digital voice quality and keep dropping calls
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service. You can also schedule a repair. Here is the link: http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can also find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
MattBK

I have had a similar pboelm for months.  Poor sound quality over VOIP, apprently the lilne quality is poor and unstable.  VEriozon will make all sort of sounds about being helpful and then will tell you that you have the speed they promised and that's all  you need.  Very frustrating and very poor service from verizon.  They haver a menu of problems that they can understand.  Poor line quality interfering with VOIP is not one of them.  

0 Likes
Maak1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the triple play with FIOS phone. The issue seems to be the same. I get calls that are fine for the 1st minute and then the quality deteriorates. Typically  it's inbound calls from Vonage or such. I have friends calling from Vonage that report they don't have the same issue with anyone else but me.

I wonder if FIOS is packet shaping and throttling the audio for VOIP. I know my Netflix streaming clarity sucks over FIOS this may be similar problems!

0 Likes
Linn618
I switched from Comcast and I'm having the same problem. However I was having similar problem with them. I thought it would be better with FIOS, but sadly no.
0 Likes