blocking calls on verizon homeline
nomorecalls1

Help, I need to block a phone number.  Who can tell me how to do it?

0 Likes
Re: blocking calls on verizon homeline
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

There numerous posts already regarding the call block feature. In the blank box at the top right type in your search term, make sure the drop down is still set to board, then click search for more information. Hopefully what I found and pasted below answers your question.

do you know, if what you have is plain jane phone service   they call it copper or POTS,  or do you have FIOS and Fiber Telephone. 

Fios has a digital telephone which has a convenient website for you to log into and you just type the numbers you want to block.   www.verizon.com/fiosvoice

if you have regular plain jane pots or fios (non digital voice) then you would use the call block feature, but you have to have it on your account.

you can find out if it's on your account at www.myverizon.com 

If it's on your account, then follow the instructions outlined here. (put your zipcode if it asks for it)

If it's not working AND you have it on your account then you can call repair at 888-553-1555

IF you don't have it on your account, then you can call into 1-800-VERIZON

0 Likes
HHBB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it possible to block one long distance residential number?

I have a traditional residential land line.

I'm already on Do Not Call list.

The person at this phone number has been told for many years that I don't want to receive calls from her. 

I know the number that I wish to block.

Please help.

0 Likes
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

@HHBB wrote:

Is it possible to block one long distance residential number?

I have a traditional residential land line.

I'm already on Do Not Call list.

The person at this phone number has been told for many years that I don't want to receive calls from her. 

I know the number that I wish to block.

Please help.

Most legacy switches do not support blocking of calls which originate out of the local rate center without significant changes in how calls are routed to the switch.  The more recent iteration of the classic 5ESS switch, the 5E-XC, offers in-built support for this type of feature, but I believe only AT&T Bells are rolling it out.  The classic 5ESS would require a multi-step solution to set-up call blocking via a separate solution, which would also potentially require multiple trunks to establish an unblocked call to the end-user.  The easy solution is to offer anonymous call blocking, which can be programmed locally and is supported by the switch.

Given that overhead, most of Verizon doesn't offer per-incoming-call block. 

The advantage is that the 5ESS has legendary >five nines reliability, while the 5E-XC is relatively new.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes
HHBB
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Poorfellow

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, I don't understand what you said in the first paragraph - it's like a foreign language to me.  🐵

I think you are saying that Verizon can't block a long distance number for me... I hope there is some way, some day, to do this.

I tried calling Verizon to ask this question but was forever on hold, twice.

HHBB

0 Likes
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

In most areas, Verizon cannot block long-distance numbers from calling you.  It's an all or nothing proposition, should you choose to use Do Not Disturb or Anonymous Call Blocking.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Calls made to you from outside your local calling area, through operator assistance, or from cell phones and some business phones cannot be blocked.

They do make products that you can buy to do it but they cost about a hundred bucks for hardware, and then noone on these forums that I have seen have ever bought one, or at least reported back if it worked. so buyer beware. 

0 Likes