calls not always going through
tferrio
Enthusiast - Level 2

My (elderly) aunt and uncle recently got FiOS with Digital Voice. Since that was installed they are complaining to me that sometimes when they make calls they get the message "the number you are calling is out of service. Check ...". They try it repeatedly with that result. Then, by the time I go over there it works fine. I see no pattern in the numbers or when it happens. This might only happen once a week or so (though they aren't the type to be on the phone all day so it seems often to them) and it's hard for me to tell how long the "outage" lasts.

I have not tried calling support because this sounds too weird.

Any ideas on what to do next?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: calls not always going through
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

FDV should be 10 digit dialing. There is no need to dial the 1 and all calls need the area code. Is it possible they are making a mistake when they are dialing?

0 Likes
tferrio
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion on 10-digit dialing.

Oddly, 7-digit dialing for local calls is working just fine. I have tried it repeatedly with no problems.

But I trained them on 10-digit dialing. The last time, a couple days ago, they told we they added the "401" and that didn't help. Then they also tried a "1" and that didn't help either.

I have wanted to verify that by finding it not working myself but when I got there a couple hours later all three forms of the local number they were having trouble with worked just fine.

Perhaps this is a good point to whine that they got no documentation when the new line was installed except a list of television station numbers - no voicemail access info and nothing about dialing 10 digits. Checking around, that seems to be the standard practice in our town.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Here is the FDV user guide. https://www36.verizon.com/fiosvoice/userguide/User_Guide.pdf If they log into the My Verizon on their account the VM access number will be listed at the bottom right of the page.

0 Likes