dsl and phone service
tessiew

Can anyone help?

I have a DSL connection (online now) but no dial tone with the Phone.

People call and get a busy signal 

0 Likes
Re: dsl and phone service
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

THe first thing you need to do is isolate your inside wiring from the outside wiring.  Essentially disconnect everything in the house and testing your line.  This can easily be done if you have a Network Interface on your house.  Here is a Link to show you how to test your line at the interface...

On this Page there is another link you can report your trouble...

Basically you go out there with a  screwdriver and a phone.  Open the cover, open the tab and plug a phone in the jack...dial your number from a cell phone or have someone call you...if the line rings ok at the interface then there is trouble in the house.  If the same trouble occurs with your phone plugged in the interface, then the trouble is outside and you need a Field Tech dispatched out to your house.

You can submit a repair request online

0 Likes
gmoore

I'm having the same problem.  DSL is working fine, but we have no dial tone on our home phone.  All we hear is static.  At first (4 days ago) we could still hear people talking on the other end, but they couldn't hear us.  Then (within 30 minutes) it evolved into not being able to answer the phone at all.  A person would call, we would pick up the phone, but we just heard a distorted ringing... we could never actually answer the phone. The phone will ring and ring and ring, never going to the answering machine.

This all came about after we had a very harsh wind storm.  We don't know if that is involved with the problem.  We live in an apartment building.  I walked around our building to find the Network Interface Device, but couldn't find it.  We have a large grey box on the side of the building that I have seen the Comcast worker get into, but it is locked with a padlock.  I'm not sure what to do.  Right now, we have no 911 access.  Which worries me.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@gmoore wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  DSL is working fine, but we have no dial tone on our home phone.  All we hear is static.  At first (4 days ago) we could still hear people talking on the other end, but they couldn't hear us. 

Get in touch with repair service, either through that link or call in person.  Your description of your trouble indicates trouble outside.

0 Likes