landline dead for past 65 hours, put in another service call
Pjd1020
Enthusiast - Level 3

well, my landline has been dead for ~65+ hours (was working thursday am but had static, then it died thursday afternoon); yet, dsl is working fine all this time with good dl, ul speeds.  Anyway, I just did a line test and the diagnostics state that the phone network is fine, has 2b something with the inside wiring.Smiley Very Happy  SO I played musical chairs with my phone jacks, and still had no dial tone; since I can't test the NID (hey, I'm in an apartment complex), I'm stuck and it's another trouble ticket for the verizon service tech to resolve; "maybe" he'll have an answer.Man Wink

or, maybe, just maybe, the line will magically repair itself again (just like the last 3-4 times).  stay tuned, we'll see what happens over the next 24-48 hours.

0 Likes
Re: landline dead for past 65 hours, put in another service call
Pjd1020
Enthusiast - Level 3

well, I'm really amazed/shocked.  a verizon tech was in the area (on a sunday?); he called shortly after I put in the ticket and about an hour later he was here and checked the line.  dead as a doornail. So he checked the circuit box, and after 20 mins he came back and said that it seems 2b a verizon problem, possibly with the CO, but if he replaced the switch (nid?) it might fix the landline but it would kill my dsl.Smiley Surprised  I said ok, I want to keep my dsl up, so let's hold off and let the CO work it out.  Someone will come back this week and we'll see how it goes.

0 Likes
Pjd1020
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok, back to square one.  a service tech did show up today (@8:30pm; not too bad, considering how bad things are in Metro DC-VA); he said he checked the NID and something must be wrong - nothing he can do except, maybe replace the NID, but if he does that, there goes my dsl.. that's not good.  

Just like the tech on Sunday, he'll have to kick the ticket back to hqts and have someone else take a look.  When, I asked?  He smiled and said, well, that's a separate office, I have nothing to do with them, I can't really say "when"Smiley Very HappyI just laughed, told him I do technical support and I know what that means. don't call us, we'll call you.  aka,

So we're still dead as a doornail (now it's 120+ hours downtime).  dsl is still up (lucky, very lucky).  and the worse of it is, verizon doesn't say zip about what's going wrong - they should at least send a broadcast to all affected customers letting us know the score. I hate to say it, but, if this goes on for another week, I'm going to be asking for a refund for the downtime.

0 Likes
wallywonks99

I feel for you. Today the dsl kept shutting on and off. Just started doing it today. Then it was off from 9pm till 11pm. ALso have no dial tone. Neighbor has no phone either. NOthing on news about it.

I am wondering if they are repairing lines in eastern pa or if someone hit a utility pole.

Bill has been paid on time so I know that isnt the issue.

0 Likes
Pjd1020
Enthusiast - Level 3

surprise! @1630 hours ET today (9/15) my landline once again magically came backSmiley Surprised  no static and it's clear as a bell - my estimated downtime was 168+ hours, almost the same amount as before.  we'll see what happens over the next 2-3 days but hopefully, the nightmare is over.Man Wink

0 Likes
Pjd1020
Enthusiast - Level 3

well, got an automated voice message from VERIZON @6:30pm ET, that there was a "switch problem" at the COMan Wink  

no surprise, that's what I figured.  Anyway, it's ~24 hours and everything is stable, no static, incoming/outgoing calls are fine, dsl is fine.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and we'll see how thing shape up over the next 48 hours.