Switch Account

momentary line pickup

Highlighted
Copper Contributor masterblaster
Copper Contributor
Message 1 of 7
(587 Views)

Every night at around 11:00pm EST my phone line gets momentarily activated like someone picks up a handset.

I only have a cordless setup with one base and two remote handsets.

I have changed the frequency that the handsets use several times so I don't believe it's any interferance from a neighbor, plus it happens only once at around the same time every night.

Is there such a thing as phone line phishing?

I did have my DSL router hacked into once.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 2 of 7
(583 Views)

What do you mean "Every night at around 11:00pm EST my phone line gets momentarily activated like someone picks up a handset."

What happens?  How do you know this is happening?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Message 3 of 7
(582 Views)

I have a cordless landline phone base and two remote hand sets in my house, no other landline phones.

When ever a handset is turned on (to get a dial tone) to make a call the base makes a clicking sound.

The base has always made the clicking sound ever since I bought the cordless unit over 3 years ago.

Every night within a 15 minute window at around 11:00pm my cordless phone base makes the same clicking sound and I know no-one in the house is using the phone. This started occuring about three months ago.

As previously mention I have changed the frequency channel assigned to the units thinking maybe a neighbors phone was interferring on the same channel but that hasn't made a difference.

If I unplug the cordless base (power and phone cord)  then obviously I would not hear anything and I cannot be sure that nothing is occuring with with phone line.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 4 of 7
(580 Views)

What is the make and model of the phone.

If you disconnect the phone wire from the base (leaving it powered on) I wonder if you will still get the clicking sound.  Is this something you can try?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Message 5 of 7
(577 Views)

I'm not at my residence now but will provide the make and model number later this evening.

I will disconnect just the phone line a few minutes before the time range that the clicking normally occurs and listen for what if anything happens and will let you know the results.

Copper Contributor
Message 6 of 7
(562 Views)

Tonight I uplugged the phone line but left the power on for the base.

No clicking occurred.

The phone is a Panasonic Model KX-TG607S.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Message 7 of 7
(539 Views)

I'm really not sure what this is.  Do you have an old wired phone you could plug in to see if it does the same thing?

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.