momentary line pickup
masterblaster1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every night at around 11:00pm EST my phone line gets momentarily activated like someone picks up a handset.

I only have a cordless setup with one base and two remote handsets.

I have changed the frequency that the handsets use several times so I don't believe it's any interferance from a neighbor, plus it happens only once at around the same time every night.

Is there such a thing as phone line phishing?

I did have my DSL router hacked into once.

0 Likes
Re: momentary line pickup
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What do you mean "Every night at around 11:00pm EST my phone line gets momentarily activated like someone picks up a handset."

What happens?  How do you know this is happening?

0 Likes
masterblaster1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a cordless landline phone base and two remote hand sets in my house, no other landline phones.

When ever a handset is turned on (to get a dial tone) to make a call the base makes a clicking sound.

The base has always made the clicking sound ever since I bought the cordless unit over 3 years ago.

Every night within a 15 minute window at around 11:00pm my cordless phone base makes the same clicking sound and I know no-one in the house is using the phone. This started occuring about three months ago.

As previously mention I have changed the frequency channel assigned to the units thinking maybe a neighbors phone was interferring on the same channel but that hasn't made a difference.

If I unplug the cordless base (power and phone cord)  then obviously I would not hear anything and I cannot be sure that nothing is occuring with with phone line.

I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What is the make and model of the phone.

If you disconnect the phone wire from the base (leaving it powered on) I wonder if you will still get the clicking sound.  Is this something you can try?

0 Likes
masterblaster1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not at my residence now but will provide the make and model number later this evening.

I will disconnect just the phone line a few minutes before the time range that the clicking normally occurs and listen for what if anything happens and will let you know the results.

0 Likes
masterblaster1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tonight I uplugged the phone line but left the power on for the base.

No clicking occurred.

The phone is a Panasonic Model KX-TG607S.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I'm really not sure what this is.  Do you have an old wired phone you could plug in to see if it does the same thing?

0 Likes