plug in not supported error in FIOS digital voice voicemail
crokev6

Hi, I recently rolled back to an earlier restore point to get rid of a pesky browser helper object.  Now when I try to listen to voicemail on my pc, the playback pop-up displays a 'plug in not supported' error message.  I reinstalled the latest Java version but this did not correct the problem.  I appreciate any help or info you can provide.  Thanks ............K

0 Likes
Re: plug in not supported error in FIOS digital voice voicemail
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there and thanks for giving us the opportunity to help you out.  Which browser are you seeing this issue with?  Have you tried other browsers and/or devices? 

~Eva

0 Likes
BeckinMA

Receiving the exact same error message, on a PC where it's worked fine for the last year.  I've made no changes to the PC whatsoever.  The plugin is NOT being blocked by the browser.  Tried 5 separate machines and 3 different browser types (Chrome, Safari, IE), same error on all three.

0 Likes
johnmacdougall

I'm having the same problem - I feel like I'm always having to upgrade JAVA, and now the plug-in is not supported.  I'd much rather have my old tape voicemail recorder.  As it stands, now, I, more often than not, have to install a JAVA update everytime I want to listen to my messages...and now it seems as if I can't do anything about it.

Please fix this.  My voice messages are important.  I can't not have access to them.  If you want me as a customer, I need to have a voicemail function that is flawless, like a taperecorder...

0 Likes
Bolt
Enthusiast - Level 3

Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI applications, including Java, as of September 2015.  Currently, these applications are disabled by default, which means that the FiOS Digital Voice voicemail pop-up app won't work.  For further information:  http://blog.chromium.org/2014/11/the-final-countdown-for-npapi.html and http://blog.chromium.org/2013/09/saying-goodbye-to-our-old-friend-npapi.html .

==> I hope that Verizon invests in reprogramming its voicemail playback app in HTML5 or some other facility that is universally supported

In the meantime, if you use Chrome, you have two choices.  Use another browser to access voicemail, e.g. Firefox.  Or temporarily enable NPAPI (until it is fully deprecated in September) by following these instructions (from Java, here: https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml#npapichrome )

"As of Chrome Version 42, an additional configuration step is required to continue using NPAPI plugins.

1. In your URL bar, enter:
    chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
  2. Click the Enable link for the Enable NPAPI configuration option.
  3. Click the Relaunch button that now appears at the bottom of the configuration page."
BeckinMA

I tried to re-enable NPAPI as well as a dozen or recommended workarounds.....it still doesnt work.  

Yes, it would be nice if Verizon used something remotely modern, instead they are going to continue their customer-shaming and do nothing to get into the modern world.

0 Likes
pdroth
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Chrome workaround worked for me, but it would be nice if Verizon refreshed this function on the webpage and brought it up to date.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hopefully they are working on it.  Windows 10 default browser (EDGE/Project Spartan) probably will not support it. 

0 Likes
Bolt
Enthusiast - Level 3

September is here.  NPAPI is deprecated on the Google Chrome v. 45 browser that's been pushed out.  The FiOS voicemail app now won't work on Chrome, and the previous workaround has been elminated (no option to enable NPAPI on Chrome).

Verizon, I hate to mention this, but the ball is in your court to modernize the programming of your app so it is compatible with Chrome.  I know I could access voicemail on a different browser, but that's inconvenient and shouldn't be necessary.  Chrome has a huge market share among browsers, and agree or disagree, eliminated NPAPI support for defensible security reasons given that superior alternatives exist for web site developers anyway.  It's time for Verizon to move ahead with one of the superior alternatives.

I hope we receive an official response from Verizon about this issue.

0 Likes
MattHamilton

Verizon:

Please fix this.  If the leading browser won't support your plugin, its time to update your offering.

0 Likes