setting up phone service for 1st time - no dial tone - could it be that previous tenant used Vonage?
Eddie4real1

I'm trying to set up phone service for the first time and the previous tenant used Vonage. Is it possible that is the problem? If so, is there an easy fix?

0 Likes
Re: setting up phone service for 1st time - no dial tone - could it be that previous tenant used Von
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Have you arranged phone service with Verizon?  If the previous person had Vonage they would have a Vonage PHone and Router and would have taken it with them.

0 Likes
Re: setting up phone service for 1st time - no dial tone - could it be that previous tenant used Von
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jumpin68ny wrote:

... If the previous person had Vonage they would have a Vonage PHone and Router and would have taken it with them. 

I believe that Vonage supplies only an adapter that is connected via Ethernet to a router or directly to a modem.  I haven't encountered either a Vonage "router." or a Vonage "phone," but it's perhaps another useable configuration.  My $0.02, of course.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Depending on when you got Vonage and what they have in inventory they have two things.

1.  Router with 2 phone jacks, 4 LAN Ports and a WAN Port

2.  Phone Adapter with 1 LAN 1 WAN and 2 Phone Ports

I had both at one time but am now a happy VZ Customer.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@jumpin68ny wrote:

Depending on when you got Vonage and what they have in inventory they have two things.

1.  Router with 2 phone jacks, 4 LAN Ports and a WAN Port

2.  Phone Adapter with 1 LAN 1 WAN and 2 Phone Ports

I had both at one time but am now a happy VZ Customer.

Thank for the info.  I arrived at Vonage late, I suppose, and missed the earlier fun.  Regards.

0 Likes
Eddie4real1

Yes, I have ordered the verizon phone service and gone through the set up process and it says just plug in my phone to any phone jack and I should get a dial tone - but I get no dial tone and my phone says "Check Telephone line". The person that lived here previously used Vonage for their phone service and of course took it with them and had the service disconnected when they moved out. So  I was wondering if because they had Vonage before, would that have anything to do with my not being able to get a dial tone. When I ordered my Verizon service, I chose the self install - so no one actually came out to install the service - internet and television working fine... just not the phone.  Any help very much appreciated. Thanks!

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
You need to call Verizon support. The phone line may not be hooked up properly to the ont. because of the previous use of vonage vz should have come out and verified the ont was connected. When I switched from vonage to vz they did have a truck roll.
0 Likes