touch tones not recognized after connection is established
NotNow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

every phone is our house is affected by this: 

1. a number is called and answered
  2. a voice prompt requests a numeric choice (does not matter how many digits)
  3. entry is recognized
  4. next branch of menu-tree prompts for another choice
  5. entry is not recognized but we hear the tone on our end -a verizon tech listened in with me and could not hear the tone
  6. navigation is completely stopped
Because this is happening on all our phones, this points a problem at the beginning of the network or in the network. this never happened with copper wires, just with the digital plan.
any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am still waiting for Verizon service to investigate the problem -it has been 10 days. Remote diagnostics say there are no problems. 
0 Likes
Re: touch tones not recognized after connection is established
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Does this issue occur with all voice prompted systems or just one in particular?

0 Likes
NotNow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

this occurs with all tone response services EXCEPT the mailbox service. I can not even get through to Verizon Tech support. to be clear, we hear the tones on our end but the response system (or a person on the other end) can not hear the tones. 

thank you for trying to help -you have no idea how frustrating this is as every service from Visa through DMV is tone response based and can not be used from our house phones.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, make sure that the phone line which runs to your old "copper" DMARK has been disconnected and wasn't accidentally left connected to your house wiring.  

Next, try unplugging ALL phones and devices from their wall jacks and plug in a single working phone.  Test.  If that doesn't work, unplug that phone and try a different phone.   If one of the two tests works, then there is either a bad phone or something on the line.   Test until you find the phone that causing them all to stop working.

If none of the single phone tests work, then it shouldn't matter, but if you've got access to the wall jack, try flipping the tip/ring connections.  In the jack, if the wires are the older four color -- red/green/yellow/black -- try flipping red and green.   If it's newer style wiring, then this would typically be the "white/blue" with the "blue/white".

Most phones aren't polarity sensitive any more, but maybe something with your setup is.

0 Likes
NotNow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

thanks - we will try unplugging phones.

I do not know about the copper wire -we had fios service for a couple of years before we were switched to digital voice. the switch was completely transparent to us. As far as checking the ploarity on our jacks -we have so many jacks and I'm not precisely sure what to check for regardless - is that something a technician would do?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You just need to do the test on one jack and see if that particular phone starts working (the polarity could be switched at the ONT end -- which would make all your jacks "reversed").   Just trying to see if we can find a combination that "works" and then we can figure out how to expand it.   Typically -- inside wiring is not part of what a technician takes care of.

Your other option -- if you have a "test" jack on the customer side of the ONT (open the customer side and look) would be to unplug all the phones in the house and plug a single phone into the test jack and see if it works.

NotNow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did not understand -I am assuming the ONT is the white box that was installed in the garage. I will plug a phone into that tomorrow and see if I can navigate a response system. -thanks will update accordingly.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT could also be installed on the outside of the garage and the box inside may just be a the power supply / battery.   Basically, you're looking for the box where the fiber cable terminates and your house wiring (telephone, cable, etc.) is attached.   You'll see a clear indicator that the box has a "customer" side which can be open by loosening the screw (usually indicated by an arrow on the box).  Once open, you'll see connections for your coax, telephone, etc.

0 Likes
NotNow2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Have a box on the inside of the garage with lights and jacks, both Ethernet and phone. I need to borrow a phone that does not require power and I will test it out by plugging into one of the phone jacks on the ONT.

0 Likes
AlexRodrigues

Hello "NotNow" ... I just became a Verizon Home Phone customer a month ago, and have been suffering from the exact same issue since., and am curious about whether you resolved your issue , and if so, what you did to resolve it

0 Likes