wall jack for digital voice? connecting a phone to a cable outlet?
pimmit
hello, just moved into a brand new house which has just 1 WAN outlet and 6 coax cable outlets, and NO telephone outlets (RJ11). I ordered the double play with internet and digital voice. internet works great. so, how do I connect a landline phone? can I connect it somehow with an adapter to the cable outlet ? also, rather than using wifi for all the computers in the house, being that there is a single WAN outlet, would it be possible to connect a computer to a cable outlet? from what I read, it appears that the cable outlets can ONLY be used for TV...is this true? so if true, what is the typical range of wiring a house with telephone wall jacks? do they have to rip a lot of holes in the drywall?
0 Likes
Re: wall jack for digital voice? connecting a phone to a cable outlet?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon digital voice is not available on other type cables.  It is converted to conventional phone wiring at the ONT.

0 Likes
pimmit

thats what i thought, but was hoping for an easier way. given that there are no phone lines in the house and i have the digital voice telephone plan,

would having a contractor run telephone wires be the only way to get service? if so, what is the general range of wiring/wall jack installation? If there is a less expensive way, what would that be?

or should i just cancel the digital voice option and go with a VOIP service? and then just use a phone that connects to the router via wifi?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Probably there are a few exotic ways to get the signal to other locations. The simplest being a wireless phone station near the entry.  But I am not sure how many others exist.  Certainly running wired connection would be the most reliable.

Remember this forum is mostly Peer to Peer.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You could try using something like a GE InstaJack Wireless Phoneline Jack.  Provided you're not using powerline extenders for ethernet, these extend a traditional phone line over the electrical infrastructure (outlet to outlet) in your home.  You'd plug on in near the ONT and make a short phone line run from the ONT to the jack and then plug the other jack into an outlet elsewhere in your home and plug a phone in there.

There are different models and different vendors of similar products, but searching the term on your favorite South American Rainforest based shopping site will yield a number of alternatives.

0 Likes
pimmit
found the solution: verizon tech strung a line into the basement from the outdoor fios unit. connected the jack to a phone base station using DECT 6.0 with wireless connections to 4 other handset units in the house. Panasonic brand which has intercom, cell connection via bluetooth, and a bunch of other bells and whistles.
0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like my house ... except I have VoIP adapter and use an internet based VoIP provider.   ATA is in the basement, base station attached to the ATA, and wireless handsets (Panasonic) in each room of the house (link-2-cell via bluetooth, intercom, etc.).   No phone lines used anywhere in the house.  Glad you found a solution. 

0 Likes