2TB eSATA Drive?
idburns
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone know if the 7216 boxes will support drives larger than 1TB?  I really want to use buy a 2TB drive.

thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 2TB eSATA Drive?
greinstein
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been using a 2tb Iomega drive for a couple of months without problem.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

I have  1TB Toshiba 1tb external drive  with esata, model: PH3100U-1EXBC. Does anybody know is this drive comapatible with 7232 DVR, or I will be forced to buy recommended by Verizon Wetern Digital model HD?

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
Same 2tb Iomega professional drive here.
@greinstein wrote:

I have been using a 2tb Iomega drive for a couple of months without problem.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@alden wrote:

I have  1TB Toshiba 1tb external drive  with esata, model: PH3100U-1EXBC. Does anybody know is this drive comapatible with 7232 DVR, or I will be forced to buy recommended by Verizon Wetern Digital model HD?

I have read that the drives Verizon specifies are higher speed, and made specificly for AV use. Other drives that run at 7200rpm may work just fine. I have tried to find where I read 5400rpm drives may work for stand alone DVRs, but when you try to run them in a multi-room or multi-hub configuration you will run into issues. I tried to find the most information I could find for your drive, and everything indicated it was a 5400PRM drive. You could possibly go out and find any oem 7200RPM SATA drive and stick it an external case and make it work. But reliability and support may be lacking.

See buying the drive early may not be so bad. I have looked around and inventory has been a bit short.Smiley Wink

Un related but what I have seen. I have a Tivo that is running a single internal WD Green drive that is not recomended, and it not being an AV drive it is a bit noisey. I can hear the heads moving. It has been operating for 2 years, and may fail at some point. It is running in a stand alone configuration, and is 7200 RPM.

I am sure you have probably seen this page, but if not here is a link.

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/FiOSTV/Other+Hardware/eSATA/129841.htm

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Whatever anyone uses/tries should be this: 3Gbps eSATA

v4vendetta14

FYI, Western Digital Green Drives do not run at 7200 RPM.  They are designed to run higher than 5400RPM, but well below 7200RPM.  WD calls this feature "Intellipower".

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3981/western-digital-caviar-green-3tb-and-my-book-essential-3tb-drives...

0 Likes
BrianHarg
Enthusiast - Level 3
Which Iomega model have you been using? Is it the 34527 professional? Still working well? Any other recommendations for a 2tb?
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
Yes.  One of mine is good and the other is not.  Need to find another drive to see if the Iomega is the issue.  I'm guessing it is.  I'd probably see what other drives people are using via a Google search. 

BrianHarg wrote:
Which Iomega model have you been using? Is it the 34527 professional? Still working well? Any other recommendations for a 2tb?

0 Likes
n925cu1

I have a 2TB drive that is exactly like one of the 1TB dives listed and the DVR does not recognize it. When will Verizon get on the stick and upgrade their equipment to be compatible with these larger (more up to date) drives? Sorry for the sarchasm but this is so typical of them. Dish has been able to work with these drives for several years now.

0 Likes