DVR TO DVR Sharing?
bossfan5050

I know this is covered ad nauseum but I'm hoping I can get a straight answer on a community board like this.  I want to have 1 MRDVR for 1 TV and 1 regular DVR for the other TV and be able to record on either DVR and be able to watch on either TV regardless of which DVR has the recorded show.  The Fios CSR I talked to told me that DVR to DVR sharing is not supported with release 1.9.  That contradicts everything that I have read about 1.9 so please can someone confirm that the CSR is wrong.  I have DirecTV without the whole house package because I was planning to switch to FIOS when 1.9 became available but because of what the CSR said that DVR sharing is not supported in 1.9 I changed my Triple Play order to a phone/internet Double Play. 

Everything I read says that with 1.9 you can have DVR sharing but no matter how many times I asked the CSR if he was giving me correct information he said that 1.9 has a bunch of new features but DVR sharing is not one of them.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: DVR TO DVR Sharing?
nascar
Master - Level 1

You need IMG 1.9...

DVR A needs to be set as Multi Room

DVR's A & B needs to be set as Multi Hub

You can than share content from DVR(s) to any other DVR(s) and 2, 6 and 7 series STB's. 

Keep in mind that only 6 and 7 Series can view HD.  And you may be limited to 1 HD from any one DVR to any other STB at a time.

prisaz
Legend

Are you asking if you can have a $20 MRDVR, and a $15 standard DVR and share content?

Or must both be the $20 MRDVR?

These are good questions. I believe you should be able to do this, and not pay for the multi room feature twice. Just like the MRDVR HD bundle where the more set to boxes you have, the bigger the discount.

I am sure there are many here that have more than one DVR and can answer this. I for one would like to know.It may have been covered, but.....

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Only one DVR needs to be Multi Room ($20).  Additional DVR's are $15.  Verizon recently introduced discounts on non DVR's so the more you add the more you save, so to speak. 

Currently I have two 7 series DVR's and one 7 series non DVR and I pay $31.

prisaz wrote:

Are you asking if you can have a $20 MRDVR, and a $15 standard DVR and share content?

Or must both be the $20 MRDVR?

These are good questions. I believe you should be able to do this, and not pay for the multi room feature twice. Just like the MRDVR HD bundle where the more set to boxes you have, the bigger the discount.

I am sure there are many here that have more than one DVR and can answer this. I for one would like to know.It may have been covered, but.....

bossfan50

@prisaz wrote:

Correct this is what I am asking.  I want to have one MRDVR and one standard DVR.  I want to record on either DVR and have the content available on both DVRs.

I am asking if 1.9 offers similar functionality to what DirecTV has with their whole house multi room technology  So basically the following 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1 - Record show ABC on the MRDVR:

- Show ABC is listed on the play list on both DVRs

- Watch show ABC on the MRDVR

- Watch show ABC on the standard DVR with full trick play capabilities i.e. pause, fast forward, rewind

- Begin to watch show ABC on the MRDVR.  Stop watching show ABC on the MRDVR and resume watching it on the srandard DVR from where it was left off on the MRDVR

Scenario 2 - Record show ABC on the standard DVR:

- Show ABC is listed on the play list on both DVRs

- Watch show ABC on the standard DVR

- Watch show ABC on the MRDVR with full trick play capabilities i.e. pause, fast forward, rewind

- Begin to watch show ABC on the standard DVR.  Stop watching show ABC on the standard DVR and resume watching it on the MRDVR from where it was left off on the standard DVR

0 Likes
Contributor - Level 1

Yes, 1.9 supports all the use cases you listed for both scenarios (and many of those uses cases even if your other box was not a DVR itself).

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

I guess I let out the word "yes".  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
bossfan50

DTV gave me a retention offer of bill credits and Whole Home service installation that essentially makes the cost of DTV and FIOS phone/internet Double Play the same as going with all FIOS Triple Play so for now I will just have Fios Double Play installed.  Thank you to all who have answered my question because knowing that DVR sharing can be done is helpful for the next time I need to evaluate my TV options.

0 Likes