Does this sound like the solution to the problem?
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

My STB is the Motorola 7100 series and even though the new TV Guide Menus are doing what they are supposed to do, the main menu is still annoying to read.  I have to keep skipping over the main menu to read the more detailed menus which are easier on my eyes because the contrast with the colors is not as sharp.  The main menu is functional but it's hard on my eyes.  Due to the contrast between the white print and the bluish grayish background, it has "fuzziness", like the colors are "bleeding" into each other.  My TV is an analog Symphonic with the tube in the back.  I'm thinking it's a limitation of the pixels on my analog TV.

So would replacing my analog TV with the flatscreen TV solve the problem?  Another issue that has always been there is that whenever I switch over to any of the TV stations in HD, the picture is exactly the same as the picture on the regular station, i.e. channel 2 looks exactly the same as channel 502 in HD, no difference whatsoever.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does this sound like the solution to the problem?
Gammanet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

To Take FULL ADVANTAGE of your FiOS experience, you will need an HDTV "flatscreen" TV. Is your tube TV an HD or SD TV? Your salesman can help you pick which one is best for you. For now, you can change the guide;  Select: menu on the remote and then go to >> Settings >> Video Settings >> Graphics Settings >> SD or HD. Select SD (standard definition) This should help with the resolution of the guide. You are correct; your current TV is limited in it's resolution. As far as the channels are concerned, the only discernable difference between the SD and HD channels would be the widescreen format. (black bars visible) This format gives you the most information the program has to offer without formatting it (i.e. cutting off the sides) to fit the entire screen of your SD TV.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Gammanet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

To Take FULL ADVANTAGE of your FiOS experience, you will need an HDTV "flatscreen" TV. Is your tube TV an HD or SD TV? Your salesman can help you pick which one is best for you. For now, you can change the guide;  Select: menu on the remote and then go to >> Settings >> Video Settings >> Graphics Settings >> SD or HD. Select SD (standard definition) This should help with the resolution of the guide. You are correct; your current TV is limited in it's resolution. As far as the channels are concerned, the only discernable difference between the SD and HD channels would be the widescreen format. (black bars visible) This format gives you the most information the program has to offer without formatting it (i.e. cutting off the sides) to fit the entire screen of your SD TV.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you.  That makes sense.  I'm really not crazy about this because I normally keep electronic appliances as long as I can but I'm willing to try.  I have already selected SD for my current TV but thank you for mentioning that.  A couple of weeks back, I had mine accidentally set on HD and that made the print so small that it was like the eye test.  lol

An HDTV flatscreen...yep, that's what my parents have too. 

And yes, you are correct...the edges do get cut off...not that that's any big deal to me personally.

As for my old TV, I can always donate it to a church or to someone I might know who could use it. 

0 Likes