FiOS TV: Getting Started With Interactive Media Guide 1.9
Justin46
Legend

Attached is a document I have titled FiOS TV: Getting Started With Interactive Media Guide 1.9. My intent is to hopefully provide some useful guidance to new FiOS TV customers as well as help more experienced customers make the best use of the new capabilities in the 1.9 level of the IMG. It is definitely not a complete tutorial on 1.9.

The content is mostly based on my experience with FiOS TV over six plus years as well as about 6 months experience with 1.9, but there is also information provided by other FiOS TV users; I very much appreciate their comments and suggestions.

If you find the information useful, great! If you don't, please just ignore this thread. If you just want to complain about FiOS TV, please find somewhere else to do it, I am not interested. But I am very much interested in whether you find the document useful or not, in any errors you may find, and especially in any suggestions you might have for additional content.

Edit 1: The document has been updated 2/12/2012 to fix an error in the description of possible audio problems with Cisco STBs. Thanks to prisaz for the corrected information.

Keller, TX 76248

Labels (1)
Re: FiOS TV: Getting Started With Interactive Media Guide 1.9
prisaz
Legend

Whoops. Justin. 

Bad communication on my part.

The Cisco boxes can provide AC3 or LPCM digital audio on the HDMI output. But the audio may default to AC3, and there is no way to force the setting to LPCM, like there is with the Motorola STBs. The Cisco boxes have no hidden settings menu, like what can be found on the Motorola. But the Cisco boxes automatically provide the proper HDMI audio output required, either AC3 or LPCM depending on the TVs requirement, and may only have issues with certain TVs mentioned below.

My Samsung TV using the CHS-435 with a HDMI cable receives the correct output from the Cisco box, and shows LPCM when viewing the diagnostics menu.

With my Vizio TVs (2) which are known to have issues with the HDMI handshake for the audio, the Cisco boxes default to AC3 with no way to change it, due to the fact the Cisco boxes have no hidden settings menu.  

prisaz

PS. I hope this does not confuse people.

Justin46
Legend

Thank you Mark. Since I still had edit authority today I have updated the document and replaced the original in the first post.

Keller, TX 76248

Malcolm_Stanley
Contributor - Level 3

big effort; really impressed.

ok if we discuss interallly how to lever this?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

great job Justin,  Definetely top notch work, I hope it is appreciated as much as it should be.       Kudos!

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Malcolm_Stanley wrote:

big effort; really impressed.

ok if we discuss interallly how to lever this?

Thank you. Yes, I have managed to spend some time on this, probably too much, but then I do enjoy writing sometimes, and I do have some experience writing computer manuals (for IBM in my distant past working days......).

Sure, feel free. I have the Word source and will be happy to provide that to Verizon if you want it. I have received some feedback that there are a few errors, or at least possible errors, and some suggestions for additional material. I thought I would collect some feedback for a while, then do an update, and from there, who knows, I have no concrete plans.

Justin

Justin46
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

great job Justin,  Definetely top notch work, I hope it is appreciated as much as it should be.       Kudos!

Thank you!

Justin

0 Likes
RwK2
Justin -- excellent job with that document. Too bad Verizon's own documentation isn't this good. Thanks for the time and effort you and the other contributors put into it. Dick
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@RwK wrote:
Justin -- excellent job with that document. Too bad Verizon's own documentation isn't this good. Thanks for the time and effort you and the other contributors put into it. Dick

Thanks Dick, I really appreciate your taking the time to provide feedback. If you find any errors or have any suggestions for additional topics I would love to hear them (well, maybe not so much the errors..... Smiley Happy )

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
cpollock1

"Support for Descriptive Video Service, native pass through, 1080p, and MP3 and MPEG-4 decoding on select devices."

i've been trying to find some info on the above comment.... is native video resolution included in any of these guide releases? i haven't seen anyone else mention it. i have a 7232 that does not have an auto or native option.... i had kind of figured that with all this talk about roll out 6+ months ago, that this may be out everywhere now.

can anyone enlighten me if this feature ever made it out, and if it is still on a rollout path?

thanks

0 Likes