I signed into this community just to complain about the new guide.
ColinTripp
Enthusiast - Level 2

The guide has always been lacking. Nonsense colors, showing channels that I can't access, too many clicks to get to any real info about shows, the list goes on. So after having FIOS down for a large portion of today I get home from work and see this crappy new guide. In preview mode, it is too wide for my standard tv. Then when I open it up the text is smaller (didn't think that was possible). It hurts my eyes to look at it. I can't figure out how to get to show info. The preview screen is so small it us useless. You have failed Verizon. Why did you do this and why didn't you send out some kind of guide to the guide. No one watches your stupid verizon how to channel. Please go back. I know you probably spend a lot on this "upgrade" but please don't make your users pay. Please don't be this stupid again.

Regards,

Colin Tripp

Labels (1)
Re: I signed into this community just to complain about the new guide.
nascar
Master - Level 1
In Menu... Settings... Television and Video Settings... You can change the look of the guide and the sizing to fit your TV properly. 

ColinTripp wrote:

The guide has always been lacking. Nonsense colors, showing channels that I can't access, too many clicks to get to any real info about shows, the list goes on. So after having FIOS down for a large portion of today I get home from work and see this crappy new guide. In preview mode, it is too wide for my standard tv. Then when I open it up the text is smaller (didn't think that was possible). It hurts my eyes to look at it. I can't figure out how to get to show info. The preview screen is so small it us useless. You have failed Verizon. Why did you do this and why didn't you send out some kind of guide to the guide. No one watches your stupid verizon how to channel. Please go back. I know you probably spend a lot on this "upgrade" but please don't make your users pay. Please don't be this stupid again.

Regards,

Colin Tripp

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately, this menu setting isn't available on the SD box (at least not the 2500).

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
I don't know cost differences in your area but I would strongly consider an HD box regardless of TV going forward.

BrianC wrote:

Unfortunately, this menu setting isn't available on the SD box (at least not the 2500).

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

$4/month difference between SD and HD boxes in Tampa last time I checked.  But that was a little over a year ago.

0 Likes
nullsoldier
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with certain aspects of your complaint, and I posted my own in another thread. Who ever developed this did not do much usability testing and backwards compatability testing on older models. I can't even begin to fathom how this was released to consumers.

ragsralph
Enthusiast - Level 2
I agree too - this is a huge mistake on Verizon's part - unreadable gray type against a light blue background - features missing - fewer options but new features that are silly - like do I care what I deleted on the dvr? That is, if I could read it without having to stand in front of the tv!
Bring back the old guide for those of us who want it.
PsUMattDE
Contributor - Level 1

Dear God-

These complaints are laughable.

The beta-testing team (including me) have enjoyed this software for over 6 months now - and have helped tweak it to where it is now.

Can't wait to read more of these humorous posts.

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

I'm happy with the new guide and some of the features on my HDDVR, but I will agree that the color choices and contrasts are more difficult to see on a smaller SDTV.  Not really a big deal to me.  I can still read it okay.  I have yet to figure out what features are missing that people keep talking about though.  The overall look and feel is way ahead of D-TV and our local cable company.

0 Likes
juice421
Contributor - Level 2

Matt, I have to agree with some of those that are disliking 1.9.  In two key areas I agree, specifically the readability of the guide. 

While it has gotten a tad bit better, the light color scheme just doesn’t provide the contrast that's really needed for EVERYONE to enjoy the guide.  I warned them that there would be many complaints if they kept to this light color scheme, and I was right.

Secondly, I do agree that the guide’s usability or user experience could use some polishing as well. It’s not as bad as the readability issue, but it still could use some improving. Such as  in the VOD menus, you can drill down many many layers. Also, to get to full info takes three clicks, and when you get to it, it’s no different than the previous menu!  Also the bottom bar on most canvaes needs some improving. No one in my house knew how to access the “options” that’s depicted with a ? beside it. They were looking around for a ? on the remote, which obviously there isn’t.  Likewise with the search, it’s kinda bare and the way you have to scroll over to get to the results isn’t very smooth or simple.

But overall, 1.9 is a huge improvement over 1.8.  I like1.9 on the whole, but it has a long way to go before I can say I’m very happy with it.