In NY, astonished how long upgrade taking!
ABCMD
Enthusiast - Level 3

To me it is amazing that those of us in NY, who have been with NY Telephone for our whole lives and were the first to get FIOS, that we are LAST to get this ridiculous upgrade.

While I do love the integrated FIOS services, it is amazing to me how their technology is such that it takes over a year delay to get a single upgrade. Directv would send nationwide upgrades all the time, and responded to user suggestions properly.When  an upgrade had a technical issue, they would just push out a fix. WHY does FIOS technology move so slowy?

It is also amazing to me that NO ONE from fios answers any of these questions on the boards, only  other users who have heard rumors or watch twitter tell us what is the latest; whatever "official" responses from Joe or the others are completely useless corporate baloney answers.

I realize that this wont be responded to either, but thought others might agree; if Directv had tightly  integrated phone and internet as good as the fios integration, would immediately switch back. I realize directv can be bundled with fios internet and phone, but one loses most of the integration I believe.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: In NY, astonished how long upgrade taking!
alden
Contributor - Level 1

To me it is amazing that those of us in NY, who have been with NY Telephone for our whole lives and were the first to get FIOS, that we are LAST to get this ridiculous upgrade.

While I do love the integrated FIOS services, it is amazing to me how their technology is such that it takes over a year delay to get a single upgrade. Directv would send nationwide upgrades all the time, and responded to user suggestions properly.When  an upgrade had a technical issue, they would just push out a fix. WHY does FIOS technology move so slowy?

It is also amazing to me that NO ONE from fios answers any of these questions on the boards, only  other users who have heard rumors or watch twitter tell us what is the latest; whatever "official" responses from Joe or the others are completely useless corporate baloney answers.

I realize that this wont be responded to either, but thought others might agree; if Directv had tightly  integrated phone and internet as good as the fios integration, would immediately switch back. I realize directv can be bundled with fios internet and phone, but one loses most of the integration I believe.

Absolutely agree!!! FIOS IMG development not just bad, it's terrible!!!! Verizon management should fire EVERYBODY in the IMG development team for the mess they created!!! And Joe A. is still very proud of himself and his team?! He should be ashamed not proud!

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

We weren't the first to get FIOS.

They sort of try to roll it out to the areas from the smallest to the largest (in terms of customers with fios).  The DAC that includes NYC, RI, and MASS is currently not the largest, but this time got delayed because of other problems to last.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I'm shocked and amazed.  lol

Don't worry.  I'm sure you will all get it soon.  Verizon wants to keep your business and will make sure that you get all the updates, the same way Verizon makes sure that you get all the TV stations you're supposed to get.

New Jersey has it now.

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1
Re: In NY, astonished how long upgrade taking![ New ]

We weren't the first to get FIOS.

What problems to last? The biggest problem is the Verizon itself, specifically IMG development team - totally incompetent one. They are not ashamed being behind of Sattelite companies in developing and implementing new IMG TO ALL CUSTOMERS, not just to smallest markets!  All the time they have excuses - hurricanes, strikes, unexpected server problems they are unable to fix, etc. Yesterday weather helped Verizon again - big snowstorm, power outage - now they have great excuse to postpone IMG rollout to NYC, and Mass till next year Halloween - knowing the ability of JOE A. team to make things right, I am absolutely confident that we will wait another year before we get this ridiculously S...L...O...W...  upgrade.

Joe himself is by now understand how astonishigly BAD this upgrade is going, so he simply stopped reading and reacting to customers opinion. Yea, I know he is very busy being PROUD of the job his team is doing, so he does not have time reading this...

0 Likes
ABCMD
Enthusiast - Level 3

In response to those who responded to my initial post, let me say this:

As I stated, I like FIOS, still think it is the best deal and best solution for TV/internet/phone in NY area at present time, and recommend it to friends all the time.  Many features far exceeding Directv at present time, such as extensive on demand, and TV/phone/intenet integration, and less interruptions due to weather. Would never consider going back to Cablevision, or anything else the Dolans touch.

Having said that,  it still is absurd that I am waiting over a year to enable my SATA port, and other features I was told would be coming very soon when I joined FIOS, and that weather delays/natural disasters/strikes are the apparent reasons, or server problems, with no official timetable or official statements as to what/when/where.  Messages appear on my screen touting the long awaited new FIOS is here, then mysteriously disappear.

When a tree fell on my house from the hurricane, I had it removed in a day, my office servers were back up, and business went on.

It seems that the price being paid for this advanced technology is that it is incredibly complex and difficult to upgrade: could someone from the company honestly and succinctly explain to us why this is so?

FIOS groupies such as those above defend the company and their lack of communication. While this is all minutia in the big scheme of things, I just think this is another example of complete lack of respect for customers.

prisaz
Legend

"FIOS groupies"  WOW COOL! FAR OUT!Smiley Very Happy

Can I be one of those?  I would have fit that 70's show life style just right.

I suspect it may even involve the many MDU Multi Dewelling Units that are located in NYC. Not sure. It would be interesting to know all the exact details, but I guess they really don't matter. If the reasons for doing your area last are not resolved, it will just take longer. Yes the Fios technology is a bit different in the way TV is implemented. I am sure your cable companies would not be upgrading all their foot prints at the same time. Or even SAT providers. But it has taken a while. So no I am not defending Verizon or FiOS. But I like FiOS much better than other technologies. So yes I do beat the FiOS drum from time to time.

PS.

We just received 1.9 this past week. I have been playing with it and seem to be pleased with it so far, but I certainly hope that the guide data improves. Bad guide data, such as the new flag, makes the scheduling or series recording rather useless, regardless of features or how pretty things are.

0 Likes
Mubble

0 Likes
ABCMD
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mubble;

I disagree with you, verizon DOES owe me an upgrade..

If I purchase a piece of software, we all pay the same price and sign the same contract, and 2/3 of the installed base gets an update way before the other 1/3, which improves functionality (i.e allows much more storage via SATA) or allows DVR's to talk to one another (thereby allowing more than two streams for everyone in house), than I deserve the same upgrade at the same time, cuz I paid the same and signed the same, within reason.

If not, as with FIOS, I deserve at least an explanation, possibly  a refund, or the ability to get out of the contract early without penalty, in my view.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon does not owe you a refund, they have delivered to you unsurpassed picture quality, outstanding phone service and reliable broadband internet and the means by which to use all of those via a set top box and router, you do need to supply your own TV,  computer and telephone. The udated software for the STB is an update to a already functioning product.

Your have purchased a service which Verizon is providing as agree'd, their obligation to the contract is fullfilled. You are renting the STB that is needed to use that service, if the STB is defective Verizon will replace it with one that works. You would have to show me where anything says Verizon has to upgrade the software/firmware in that rented equipment at all. If they do upgrade it to somehting better..thats better, but becareful what you wish for. After complaining about not having the latest and greatest what if you get it and its not so great, you wont be able to step backwards!