×

Switch Account

Introducing the new Verizon FIOS TV Guide, now even worse than before!

Introducing the new Verizon FIOS TV Guide, now even worse than before!

Reply
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,175
Registered: ‎08-05-2008
Message 11 of 37
(16,140 Views)

@0100010 wrote:

Depends which Guide you're looking at in 1.9.

.....

 


Excellent post! I hope all of those complaining will read it, really shows how off base they are. Thanks for posting.

 

__________________________________
Justin
FiOS TV, Internet, and phone user
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

Highlighted
Contributor MovieBuff
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-09-2011
Message 12 of 37
(16,067 Views)

You can only change the menu from 4 to 6 channels.

 

I agree with all of the critical reviews...

Just when I begin to understand and utilize the functions, Verizon feels the necessity to change the whole layout!

 

WHAT THE HELL FOR??

 

THE BIG QUESTION:

Why did Verizon waste time and resources to "update" the menu?  It wasn't broken!  It worked, so don't "fix" it.


THE NEW MENU IS HORRIBLE.

 

And who came up with the color change?  Baby blue?  REALLY???

 

If you want to add new features and/or make the menu more efficient, then ADD those features.

Don't make a complete facelift to the entire design!

 

And why doesn't Verizon do what other developers do?

 

Offer a Beta version to users so Verizon can get CONSTRUCTIVE feedback from the end users.

Highlighted
Contributor MovieBuff
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-09-2011
Message 13 of 37
(16,063 Views)

Depends which Guide you're looking at in 1.9.

 

You can choose the Full Guide (in Standard or Classic) views, Channel Guide, Half Guide or Mini Guide.

 

7xxx HD

Full Guide Standard = 7 channels (hit Guide once)

Full Guide Classic = 5 channels (available option in Television settings menu)

Channel Guide = 7 channels horizontally (hit Guide twice)

Mini Guide = really just one channel at a time (hit the down arrow on live TV)

Half Guide = 6 channels (hit the up arrow on live TV)

 

2500 / 6xxx / 7xxx SD

Full Guide Standard = 6 channels (hit Guide once)

Full Guide Classic = 4 channels (available option in Television settings menu)

Channel Guide = 6 channels horizontally (hit Guide twice)

Mini Guide = really just one channel at a time (hit the down arrow on live TV)

Half Guide = 5 channels (hit the up arrow on live TV)

 

What a waste of time!

 

Don't you and the rest of the Verizon geeks realize that the average end user is a VIEWER not a techie?

We don't want to play with (and waste time with) all of these silly options.  In fact, I'll bet the majority of Verizon customers don't want or need to have all of these ridiculous options.

 

We just want to view our selected channels in the best resolution possible and to have the basic ability to find a movie or show, and be able to record, pause and playback movies or other media.  PERIOD.

 

If you want to offer all of these other "hyper-options", then put them in a special area and call it "Customize Your Viewing Pleasure" or an equivalent label so the Geeks can go there and play while the rest of us can get down to business and  just watch our TV sets.

Gold Contributor IV
Gold Contributor IV
Posts: 1,258
Registered: ‎09-11-2008
Message 14 of 37
(16,063 Views)
They did offer a beta version and plenty was offered in terms of trying to change the colors, contrast, and fonts used.  I have yet to see the latest version but I'm hoping more tweaks down the road can be made to improve the readability.

 

What I'm seeing from others as 1.9 is rolled out is there is consistent criticism of the look (colors, contrast, and fonts) and not the functionality which is a tremendous improvement over 1.8.

 


MovieBuff wrote:

 

You can only change the menu from 4 to 6 channels.

 

I agree with all of the critical reviews...

Just when I begin to understand and utilize the functions, Verizon feels the necessity to change the whole layout!

 

WHAT THE HELL FOR??

 

THE BIG QUESTION:

Why did Verizon waste time and resources to "update" the menu?  It wasn't broken!  It worked, so don't "fix" it.


THE NEW MENU IS HORRIBLE.

 

And who came up with the color change?  Baby blue?  REALLY???

 

If you want to add new features and/or make the menu more efficient, then ADD those features.

Don't make a complete facelift to the entire design!

 

And why doesn't Verizon do what other developers do?

 

Offer a Beta version to users so Verizon can get CONSTRUCTIVE feedback from the end users.


 

Highlighted
Silver Contributor II
Silver Contributor II
Posts: 343
Registered: ‎11-09-2010
Message 15 of 37
(16,042 Views)

 get down to business and  just watch our TV sets.

LOL,  care to reword that oxymoron !!

Highlighted
Contributor flaguy66
Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-10-2011
Message 16 of 37
(16,002 Views)

I have two TVs in my home, one is a 6*** box and the other a 7*** box.  The 6*** box got updated first, and I almost blew a gasket, for the exact reasons stated here, a lack of channels, bad font/color scheme and also the placement of the picture as embedded, versus overlay. 

 

Then the 7*** box television got upgraded, which displays the guide in HD.  My immediate reaction is that its fine, I can handle it.  It has enough channels to live with, and which doesn't radically change what I perceive as "standard". 

 

I'm hearing that I'm essentially SOL for getting the 6*** box to display this guide with an acceptable number of channels.  However I do have a choice, go back to Brighthouse, which had PiP, a great "start over" feature and Bay News 9.

 

I'll be asking Verizon to give me the right hardware to support these "enhancements" to my service.  If they refuse, I'll happily "revert" to cable :).

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
Message 17 of 37
(15,834 Views)

I'm sorry, but I looked at the screenshots that 0100010 put up (thank you, BTW), and I don't see why people are complaining. 

 

The new guide looks heads and shoulders above what we had before, which was horrible.  Lots of functionality, the guide options remind me of what's available with TiVo from a while back (that's a good thing), and there's no problem with the color palete. 

 

Sure, the number of channels has been reduced somewhat, but with a 16:9 guide, you're getting more real estate to view upcoming shows by channel and details on the current show, so you make out better in the end than what you were.  And even with the 4:3 guides, there doesn't appear to be any problems, save for losing one or two channels/screen. 

 

I guess I don't see where all the venom and vitrol is coming from.  Perhaps folks should focus on something valid, like, say, the lack of new HD channels on the horizon...

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 33
Registered: ‎07-21-2011
Message 18 of 37
(15,833 Views)

@moviebuff wrote:
What a waste of time!

 

Don't you and the rest of the Verizon geeks realize that the average end user is a VIEWER not a techie?

We don't want to play with (and waste time with) all of these silly options.  In fact, I'll bet the majority of Verizon customers don't want or need to have all of these ridiculous options.

 

We just want to view our selected channels in the best resolution possible and to have the basic ability to find a movie or show, and be able to record, pause and playback movies or other media.  PERIOD.

 

If you want to offer all of these other "hyper-options", then put them in a special area and call it "Customize Your Viewing Pleasure" or an equivalent label so the Geeks can go there and play while the rest of us can get down to business and  just watch our TV sets.


So, in short, you're mad that Verizon is offering a new experience and more options to the customer? 

 

Really? Robot Indifferent

 

 

 

Highlighted
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎07-06-2011
Message 19 of 37
(15,793 Views)

I can see there are two, distinct camps that have emerged about this upgrade. Those people who really like it, and aren't the least bit daunted by the new features. And there are those people who just want to watch television without having to trifle with a lot of features they'll never use, anyway.
And I understand BOTH points-of-view.

I'm in the middle. I like some of the new features, but I find some of the settings (and the new guide's look) superfluous.

I liken this new design to each new operating system Microsoft rolls out. They're always full of "bloatware," and if you aren't willing to spend a lot of time finding out what, say, Windows Messenger is, or that there's a way to change the look of the desktop, you're at the mercy of the software designer.

I would suspect when Verizon signed-up its beta testers, they had hoped to attract tech savvy people who aren't inhibited by new technology. That's beneficial, but perhaps, only to a degree.

However, I also understand that many, many people don't care to roam around in their settings to determine the difference between a Full Guide, Half Screen Guide, Mini Guide or Channel Guide. They aren't about to try to figure out the difference between a "Classic View," and a "Standard View." They just want to watch television.

 

Here's what I considered to be some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. For the next software release, can you please offer a legacy function that will enable users to choose the look and feel of the guide? If not, please consider the fact that some people (I'm not necessarily one of them) don't shell out their money (which seems to increase every month) to watch their guides!

Highlighted
Copper Contributor mcb01
Copper Contributor
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-09-2008
Message 20 of 37
(15,675 Views)

@freedoms wrote:

I liken this new design to each new operating system Microsoft rolls out. They're always full of "bloatware," and if you aren't willing to spend a lot of time finding out what, say, Windows Messenger is, or that there's a way to change the look of the desktop, you're at the mercy of the software designer.



This is actually the fault of computer manufacturers like HP or Dell that sell pre-built machines with bloatware. Those types of programs are not inherently part of any Windows OS.

 

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.


Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.