Re: New programming guide is awful so is almost everythign else about FiOS TV
Qbanboy87

{please keep your posts courteous}... Is there a way to go back to the old one

0 Likes
greg_m5
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I have no trouble reading the 1.9 menus. My guess is your HD set is too small for the viewing distance you are watching from.

Hear are some recommended viewing distances for HD (from Crutchfield's web site):

Screen size Viewing distance range
26"3.25 - 5.5 feet
32"4.0 - 6.66 feet
37"4.63 - 7.71 feet
40"5.0 - 8.33 feet
42"5.25 - 8.75 feet
46"5.75 - 9.5 feet
50"6.25 - 10.5 feet
52"6.5 - 10.8 feet
55"6.9 - 11.5 feet
58"7.25 - 12 feet
65"8.13 - 13.5 feet
70"8.75 - 14.75 feet

Recommended viewing distances for high-definition TVs. We suggest a range because the ideal distance will depend on several factors, including signal quality.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@greg_m5 wrote:

My wife and I have no trouble reading the 1.9 menus. My guess is your HD set is too small for the viewing distance you are watching from.

Hear are some recommended viewing distances for HD (from Crutchfield's web site):

Screen size Viewing distance range
26"3.25 - 5.5 feet
32"4.0 - 6.66 feet
37"4.63 - 7.71 feet
40"5.0 - 8.33 feet
42"5.25 - 8.75 feet
46"5.75 - 9.5 feet
50"6.25 - 10.5 feet
52"6.5 - 10.8 feet
55"6.9 - 11.5 feet
58"7.25 - 12 feet
65"8.13 - 13.5 feet
70"8.75 - 14.75 feet

Recommended viewing distances for high-definition TVs. We suggest a range because the ideal distance will depend on several factors, including signal quality.

So based on that chart, I guess I would need a 100" set in order to be "proper" at 17 feet Smiley Surprised

Looks like a chart that was devloped to sell as many huge screens as possible (read that as more bucks for Crutchfield).  My 52' looks just fine at the distance I listed and to me 10.8 feet would be way too close.

0 Likes
Re: New programming guide SUCKS so does almost everything else about FiOS TV
dc426
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have to agree!

*Font way too small!

*Color contrast needs work!

*Can't see the channel numbers. It doesn't matter who, why or how. I just want it fixed. Can I have the old style back? I spent a hour trying to see if I could possibly change back to the old style or change the font like a PC. Oh well. So much for paying 184.00 for stuff I can't see!

DC

greg_m5
Enthusiast - Level 2

Keyboards wrote:

So based on that chart, I guess I would need a 100" set in order to be "proper" at 17 feet :smileysurprised:

Looks like a chart that was devloped to sell as many huge screens as possible (read that as more bucks for Crutchfield).  My 52' looks just fine at the distance I listed and to me 10.8 feet would be way too close.

I find that Crutchfield's "recommendations" work pretty well for my wife and I, and we have no problem reading the guide. We have a 60" set and sit 9-10 feet away. Note that they are recommendations, and I would think most people wouldn't have issues reading the programming guide if they followed some of the guides that are available.

BTW, here are the THX recommend ranges:

Screen Size Recommended Range

35"3.5' – 5.0' (1.0 – 1.5 m)
40"4.0' – 6.0' (1.2 – 1.8 m)
50"5' – 7.5' (1.5 – 2.2 m)
60"6.0' – 9.0' (1.8 – 2.7 m)

It appears they are trying to make even more money than Crutchfield ...oh, wait they don't sell TV's - nevermind.

Look, I don't work for Crutchfield or care how far you sit from your TV. It is common sense that the farther one sits from the screen, the smaller text in the guides will be.

0 Likes
MrRippie

I'm sorry but I had to come on here to put my 2 cents in in regards to this new guide.

I have zero issues with colors, or size of text, etc.

My issue is the layout is terrible. In the old guide you could see the progress bar (for lack of a better word) directly under the title of the movie/show.

Now that bar is at the very top of the screen, but even better is there is no way to tell just how far into the show/movie it is

because there is no way to see when the show started on the BAR.

So now you literally have to see the title, look to the top of the screen and see where the bar is, AND look to the right

where it shows what time the show started, quickly do the math and there ya go.

It's ridiculous. Before it looked simply like this and it worked perfectly.

[|||||||||----------------]

8pm                  10pm

Now that same information is spread out over THREE different areas of the guide rather than in one place.

Not to mention this guide is ridiculously laggy and slow moving.

0 Likes
Re: New programming guide SUCKS so does almost everything else about FiOS TV
hingber
Enthusiast - Level 2

THAT'S NOT WHAT I SEE. THIS PICTURE LOOKS GREAT. I HAVE SMALL WHITE TEXT ON SOME LIGHT BLUE BACKGROUND. ENCLOSED COPY OF MY PREVIOUS COMMENT.

by hingber on 09-14-2011 12:25 PM
I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH THIS COMMENT. I HAVE A SONY 32" CRT STD DIF TV. I MADE SOME CHANGES IN MENU/SETTINGS/VIDEO SETTINGS AND GOT A BETTER READABILITY. WHAT MANAGER APPROVED THESE CHANGES? DID YOU HIRE AN INTERIOR DECORATOR TO DO YOUR DESIGN?? JUST GIVE US LARGE WHITE TEXT ON BLACK . ALSO MADE CHANGES IN CLOSED CAPTION SETTINGS AND GOT A BETTER READABILITY
0 Likes
GaryH571
Enthusiast - Level 1

I hope there is a way to go back to the old menu.  I use to see 8 stations on one screen.  I was hoping they would add another but they took away 2.  It was nice to see all local stations on one screen.   The old saying, if its not broken, don't fix it definately applies here. 

LB-junkie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree with the original post. Just got the push a day ago and the new menus are awful. The software is slower. The closed captioning is still low-res terrible. The 7232 won't pass CC to my Sony HX929 TV over HDMI which has excellent CC font capabilities.

I also agree with all the complaints about font size and CONTRAST. People with good vision don't understand the concept of font/background contrast. The new menus are slower.

As far as those Crutchfield TV size ratings, those are ridiculous. 55" is fine at 13' and beyond. Who sits 6' from a 50" screen?

thedook

I have an issue with the new guide.. it is awful:

*Font way too small!

*Color contrast needs work!

*Can't see the channel numbers.

Please give users an opportunity to select a 'theme' ...

Thanks and hopefully there will be some resolution to this soon.

0 Likes