Problem solved!
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

OK, I just came home with a new Samsung HD flat screen TV and the TV Guide Display is a thousand times better and so are the graphics on everything else.  My biggest criticism is that I think the communication was handled poorly.  Couldn't we at least have been given some advance notice about this so we wouldn't be caught off guard and not knowing that the issue with the menu display could either have to do with the STB or having an analog TV?  And actually, there really was no communication about this.  It was just sprung on us and I feel like I was left in the dark to figure out what was going on.

Verizon, I hope this feedback is making a difference. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Problem solved!
Mubble

Grats on the new TV!  My 50" Panny is waiting for the update 🙂

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Congratulations?  On a new TV?  Well, I didn't win it from a game show.  lol...It's 26" which is fine for my needs.

I remember some people were congratulating me on getting Fios and I was asking myself "why".  It's not like I worked for it or did something spectacular to deserve it.  lol...It all came about from "necessity". 

0 Likes
Mubble

You don't sound like an easy going guy so... Congratulations on making the life choices that have enabled you the means of living in a FiOS network and the purchasing power to have a Samsung and not a Symphonic TV. Sorry you feel Verizon made you buy a new TV lol. I think it's time to pitch the hundred pound tube in the trash anyway. I'm glad Verizon is making you old farts get with the times LOL. I'm just kiddin with ya 🙂

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I was kidding with my reply to the "congratulations".  I know you were just trying to be supportive.  It's just not really a major life accomplishment for me, not even quite as important as buying a car.  What choice did I really have?  Why all of a sudden is an analog TV considered garbage?  We relied on that for decades and it was never a problem and I never made a stink over antenna reception.  You're forced in the end to make these purchases when these changes are thrown at you.  Call me "old school" or an "old timer" but I just don't understand why all of this is so necessary and why I need all of these extra features that are either non-essential or that I know I'll never use.  I think the whole thing has gotten complicated.

I was raised to keep a lot of things until the bitter end, i.e. until they don't work anymore, and not to waste things or to junk something for the sake of change even if it's not really necessary.  I really did think it was unfortunate to have to pull the plug on an appliance that I haven't really had for that long and that was working well with its capabilities.  I have an "older" cell phone which isn't good for texting but I never text.  It doesn't have the bigger screen with the keyboard but I only have my cell phone for emergencies and as long as it's still working and doesn't get thrown in the laundry, I truly could care less.  lol

0 Likes
ronmac7609
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was raised to keep a lot of things until the bitter end, i.e. until they don't work anymore, and not to waste things or to junk something for the sake of change even if it's not really necessary.  I really did think it was unfortunate to have to pull the plug on an appliance that I haven't really had for that long and that was working well with its capabilities.  I have an "older" cell phone which isn't good for texting but I never text.  It doesn't have the bigger screen with the keyboard but I only have my cell phone for emergencies and as long as it's still working and doesn't get thrown in the laundry, I truly could care less.  lol

Yes, but an older cell phone would not have wireless phase II GPS location technology to pinpoint your location should you be unable to speak.  So sometimes technology changes for the better.  I do see your point and I'm the same way with somethings as I have gotten older.  I'm glad your guide works better now.  I still haven't recevied update yet but got an HD TV with a tax refund a few years back.  Figured I would treat myself my family to something nice since my older tube TV picture was starting to go.  I did have that for some time though.   

prisaz
Legend

@Mubble wrote:

You don't sound like an easy going guy so... Congratulations on making the life choices that have enabled you the means of living in a FiOS network and the purchasing power to have a Samsung and not a Symphonic TV. Sorry you feel Verizon made you buy a new TV lol. I think it's time to pitch the hundred pound tube in the trash anyway. I'm glad Verizon is making you old farts get with the times LOL. I'm just kiddin with ya 🙂

Take it to an electronic recycling location. Those old tubes have a lot of bad stuff in them. Also there are many components that have metals in them that can be reused and also contain things bad for the environment.Smiley Wink

When I took my 36" Sony tube, the chasis was taken apart from the rest. That is the only was to make it down the stairs. I am not as young as when I bought it. If you do that, watch out for that high voltage going to the tube. The 25,00 vold stat charge can knock you on your can.

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

I don't have a GPS system and I really don't need it.  I have my cell phone turned off most of the time and it's only for emergencies if I'm stuck somewhere.  I understand your point too, that sometimes technology changes things for the better.  I don't think that we, in general, often like dealing with change because as human beings, we're creatures of habit.  I try to keep things as simple as possible at home.  Whenever I travel out of the area, I always let my family know where I am in case anything happens and I have my ICE list with emergency contacts, right on my cell phone. 

At least the flat screen TV is much easier to handle.  I couldn't believe how light it was to carry.  And the picture quality is very good so I can't complain about that. I set it up in only 20 minutes.  I've gotten better over the years with setting up new devices but then I had to fool around with hooking up the DVD player and re-programing the Verizon remote.  I called customer service for help with that and it worked and then I realized afterwards that when I had tried it initially, I was reading the wrong codes.  lol 

The guy at Best Buy who sold me the TV was certainly trying to get his commission by sellinge extra gadgets but I promptly turned those things down, like this HDMI cable box for getting the highest quality of HD, for another 60 bucks.  No thank you.  The picture on my TV is fine.

As for my older TV, I was thinking of giving it to a church or a thrift shop but sometimes that's more trouble than it's worth and the old TV is so bulky and heavy.  So when I got home from work just now, I dragged it down to the curb, carrying it by these little "handles" on top.  Somebody will take it soon enough.  I agree with the idea of recyling electronic items because it's indeed much better for the environment.  Any store like Staples or Best Buy would take it for that and I can always fall back on public works.  But I just figured that since the old TV still works very well, it would be better to leave on the curb because someone will definitely take it and be more likely to use it.  It's the simplest if I just want to get rid of a bulkier item quickly. 

My parents had to replace their older analog TV because the picture was starting to go, showing a lot of shadows in the background.

0 Likes