Re: QIP 7216 doesn't recognize external hard drive
tzm

I have the same problem as you. My 2TB Seagate won't show up. Did a new Sata cable help?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Desmondhuz
^bump. I can't get my wd My Book to be recognized by my DVR stb.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Get some esta cables from monoprice.com  Apparently the DVR is temperamental with some esata cables.

0 Likes
BriLam

Just for the record, I've tried everything.

New cables, booting the box and then the hard drive, booting the hard drive and then the box, getting a new box, hooking the hard drive up to my computer to make sure it was functioning properly, everything.

Verizon is out of ideas and has promised to get back to me after looking into the situation...and that's been months ago. Basically, I have a useless hard drive and no extra space on my DVR. And this is with the hard drive that was bought solely because Verizon can supposedly troubleshoot it. I know more about the hard drive than most Verizon folks I talk to.

I now have to call WD and hope that they'll be able to figure out what's wrong.

As you can tell, this has been a huge waste of time with no hope in sight.

0 Likes
venturen

I solved my problem. I formated the drive on my computer and then it worked fine. I researched this to death on what I would get and first got a 1TB Fantom dirve for $60, but that drive was dead. Then I purchased a Sabrent enclosure ECUEIS7 and a 

Western Digital AV-GP 2 TB(total $130 w/ $20 coupon). I tried attaching the drive but it wasn't at first clear. It sad it saw the drive but I didn't see the second tab for external drive. Best of luck.

0 Likes
mrchompers
Enthusiast - Level 1
Tried seanwasras suggestion and it worked.....for a couple of months. Now box is back to ignoring my external drive. Even tried a few different shielded esata cables with same result.
0 Likes
evanob

I am having simialr problems.  My Fantom Green 2TB drives were working fine; I have 4.  Now 2 are working, but the other 2 can't be recognized any more.  Has to be a software upgrade issue.  I will try the shielded cables and reformatting the drives, but I am not hopeful.  I know I have already lost all of the shows and programming on the drives.  Very frustrating, but cool while it worked.

0 Likes
PBS_Vrz_Cmnm

doyleisland (and anyone else who formatted their external drive with their computer and then it was recognized by the QIP 7216) -- what type of formatting did you use? Was it NTFS or FAT32 (if you have Windows on your computer) , possibly ext2 or ext3 if your computer is running Linux, or maybe even MAC OS Extended on an Apple machine? Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
tthom53
Enthusiast - Level 1

I experienced multiple failures trying to get my Motorola 7216 set-top box to recognize my new WDC AV 1TB external drive, trying everything I could think of UNTIL I used this exact sequence successfully:

1. Motorola QIP 7216 set-top box is ON

2. Do NOT power up the external drive yet

3. Connect the WDC drive to the 7216 with the eSata cable

4. In the 7216 Settings menu, go to "Expand Capacity" and follow instructions to the point where the screen says your

drive is "activated"

5. When instructed to plug the eSata drive into the 7216, plug the drive in to the power outlet

6. Click "OK" on your remote to reboot your set-top-box

No other sequence of steps worked except this one.  Once my STB rebooted, I went to "Check Capacity" under DVR Settings and saw that I had two drives connected: Internal and external.

dmeeusen
This is THE fix when the fios DVR doesn't recognize the external hard drive. I panicked and tried a bunch of different ways and this worked the first time I tried. This should be bumped or stickied so others can find it! Thank you tthom53!!!
0 Likes