Timeline of Software Updates to Interactive Media Guide
pearcej
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am curious and hope that somebody can answer my question. How often does Verizon update the software to the Interactive Media Guide? There was one a couple of months or so ago that made some nice improvements but there is still plenty of room for more improvements and I'm hoping to see them sooner rather than later. I don't know if it's something that occurs every few months or perhaps years pass between updates. Does anyone know when we could expect the next update? Thank you all... 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Timeline of Software Updates to Interactive Media Guide
Justin46
Legend

@pearcej wrote:

I am curious and hope that somebody can answer my question. How often does Verizon update the software to the Interactive Media Guide? There was one a couple of months or so ago that made some nice improvements but there is still plenty of room for more improvements and I'm hoping to see them sooner rather than later. I don't know if it's something that occurs every few months or perhaps years pass between updates. Does anyone know when we could expect the next update? Thank you all... 

You are unlikely to get any kind of definitive response from Verizon because they like to keep everything as secret as posssible. And any answers you get from customers may very well depend on how long they have been a FiOS customer and whether they have experienced problems.

Having said the above, as an almost 7 year FiOS TV, internet, and phone customer, here are my thoughts and experience:

1) There is no set schedule. Times have varied from probably 2-3 years to maybe 8-9 months.

2) There was a rumor a while back that there would be another update later this year, maybe in the Fall. Well we are getting close to Fall now, I have not seen anything rumored or factual lately, so who knows?

3) One of the reasons there is usually a fairly long time between new levels is that Verizon chooses to make each level available gradually, by enabling a new level gradually, in specific areas of the country, one at a time. They generally pick a different area to be the first to get a new level, wait a while to see how it works, then pick another area, and on until all areas are updated. The good thing about this is that if there are major issues, and with one level there certainly were, the whole Verizon footprint does not get messed up all at once. The downside is that it takes multiple months for a new level to completely roll out.

4) Verizon does not seem to want to make fixes for specific problems available between general rollouts of new levels. They do occasionally roll out some new or changed function, like the new VOD menu, but fixes(?), generally not, at least as far as I know.

I don't know if the above helps you at all, but that is about all I can tell you, because as I said traditionally Verizon keeps it all behind closed doors until magically there it is in our STB.

If you are interested in how Verizon divides up the country, here is a link to a list of the VHOs (Video Hub Offices):  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16492

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

@pearcej wrote:

You are unlikely to get any kind of definitive response from Verizon because they like to keep everything as secret as posssible. And any answers you get from customers may very well depend on how long they have been a FiOS customer and whether they have experienced problems.

Having said the above, as an almost 7 year FiOS TV, internet, and phone customer, here are my thoughts and experience:

1) There is no set schedule. Times have varied from probably 2-3 years to maybe 8-9 months.

2) There was a rumor a while back that there would be another update later this year, maybe in the Fall. Well we are getting close to Fall now, I have not seen anything rumored or factual lately, so who knows?

3) One of the reasons there is usually a fairly long time between new levels is that Verizon chooses to make each level available gradually, by enabling a new level gradually, in specific areas of the country, one at a time. They generally pick a different area to be the first to get a new level, wait a while to see how it works, then pick another area, and on until all areas are updated. The good thing about this is that if there are major issues, and with one level there certainly were, the whole Verizon footprint does not get messed up all at once. The downside is that it takes multiple months for a new level to completely roll out.

4) Verizon does not seem to want to make fixes for specific problems available between general rollouts of new levels. They do occasionally roll out some new or changed function, like the new VOD menu, but fixes(?), generally not, at least as far as I know.

I don't know if the above helps you at all, but that is about all I can tell you, because as I said traditionally Verizon keeps it all behind closed doors until magically there it is in our STB.

If you are interested in how Verizon divides up the country, here is a link to a list of the VHOs (Video Hub Offices):  http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16492

Keller, TX 76248

pearcej
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Justin for the excellent, thorough elxplanation. You obviously know your stuff (I say that not only from this posting but other's I've read) and appreciate your input...