Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Fix static IP PTR Record info at Verizon

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Fix static IP PTR Record info at Verizon

Message 11 of 24
(15,926 Views)

Are you hosting anything on that connection?  If not there is no problem.

It doesn't seem as if you have anything forwarded to it.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 12 of 24
(15,913 Views)

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

Are you hosting anything on that connection?

I guess that you are talking to me. If you are not talking to me, please ignore this message.

No, I am not hosting anything here.

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

If not there is no problem.

Why is that?

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

It doesn't seem as if you have anything forwarded to it.

While you are correct, that I am not running any server here...

Before I replied to your post, how do you know that?

a) To the best of my knowledge, I did not tell you my public IP.

b) The lowest port number other than 0 is 1, and the highest possible port number is 65535.

http://www.grc.com/port_0.htm

c) Maybe, I do not have to run a server on the default port.

http://www.grc.com/sn/sn-220.htm wrote:
So it certainly makes sense not to run a known service at a known port unless you have to. You have to run web browsers at 80 because it's - well, practically - because it's really an annoying thing to tell users, oh, go to John's website, but then put :2637. And people go, huh? What?

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 13 of 24
(15,908 Views)

Of course if you are running a multi domain email server it would be the server name presented in the initial server greeting.

In other words...

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 14 of 24
(15,905 Views)

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

Ok.

#1 What if I get my own domain name and run a server?

#2 Or does it have to be, that I have e-mail server to get and keep one of those?

#3 It was correct at 2009-09-26 14:02:21 ( the date at time of my post over at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,23086979 )

#4 At this time, I have no idea of idea of what date and time it changed back to be being correct. But I know, it is correct now.

Reverse DNS (PTR) exists and claims to be: static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net.

Forward DNS for static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net is: 71.242.*.*.

DNS is consistent.

#5 While I am not running any server (e-mail or otherwise), something is very odd that it keeps on changing (back and forth). Once it is set, it should just remain the same. Right?

#6 Any ideas of what is going on? What to look for?

Thanks.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 15 of 24
(15,900 Views)

Since you do not have a server and do not have a basic understanding of what a static ip address is and what forward and reverse dns is (Since you thought I was talking about port forwarding) you are most likely not paying for a static IP address.

Since you are not paying for a static ip address, you address may change from time to time.  Although not impossible, this makes running a server more difficult.   In addition, the port 80 which is used for web based traffic may also be blocked and you would have to run the web server on a different port.

For more information about your specific connection and why it is setup the way it is you will need to call customer service as I cannot answer and questions about your service.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 16 of 24
(15,898 Views)

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

Since you do not have a server.

It sound to me that you are appling that if an user has a Static public IP, they have to run a server at that location.

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

you do not have a basic understanding of what a static ip address is.

Do not be sure about that.

You can follow these steps:

#1 Go directly to my profile at DSLR

http://www.dslreports.com/profile/u/595148

#2 Type in Static as the search term, where it clearly says Search Posts for:

#3 I would recommend searching by date, and then browsing through the search results...

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

You are most likely not paying for a static IP address.

Since you are not paying for a static ip address, you address may change from time to time.

You are very close.

My parents are paying for a Static Public IP and I live with them.

@kieranmullen2 wrote:

For more information about your specific connection and why it is setup the way it is you will need to call customer service as I cannot answer and questions about your service.

Maybe, my parents or I will do just that.

But I want to see what other users know, first...

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 17 of 24
(15,895 Views)

{please keep your posts courteous} and no I have not checked.

{please keep your posts courteous}  If you are talking about "implying" no I am not implying that one has to have a server to have a static ip. You can have a static IP address for other reasons, but nothing else relies on the reverse pointer record so it does not matter and does not need to be discussed.  Again as I mentioned you can also run a server without a static IP address but it is more difficult and not worth the trouble.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III

Message 18 of 24
(15,882 Views)

kieranmullen2 wrote:,
but nothing else relies on the reverse pointer record so it does not matter and does not need to be discussed.

Ok. Thanks.

If and when we want to get our own domain name and (OR) we want to run a mail server, we will worry about it.

[edit ]nothing else to talk about..

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 19 of 24
(15,880 Views)

{please keep your posts courteous}

The price for web hosting is less than the extra price for static IP.

If you are looking at hosting something that is not allowed on current web hosts, good luck getting that done in the USA even it is on your parents connection.  It would be best do host outside the USA if you think you will be hosting anything not kosher.

[edit]

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 20 of 24
(11,251 Views)

I would never run a mail server without a reverse DNS to check the pointer record. If the yourdomain.com reverse lookup comes back as something else, my server would drop your connection like a ton of bricks. That is the first line of defense, even before spamhaus and black lists were event a thought. Hey I remember sending an Email to a buddy from whitehouse.gov at one time. Now that was funny and could land you in jail. But it only went to him. If a mail server does not do a reverse lookup at the pointer record, who's to say where the mail came from. I could call my server anything. So yes Verizon must manage the pointer records for their static IPs, and should for a business customer. Perhaps you need to call the old MCI people to get someone that knows something.Smiley Sad

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.