Bait and switch on the Verizon Web site?
eelstretching
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was a Verizon customer for several years, and cancelled late last year when they couldn't do anything to reduce my bill.

About a week ago, I received a letter (attributed to {edited for privacy}) pointing out that there were offers available for returning customers, and providing the URL http://verizon.com/fios/7fq. We've been thinking about going down to just Internet service, and I figured I'd see what Verizon had to offer.

I went to the URL, and selected "Build My Plan", then selected just the 50/25 Internet service, and selected "No Annual Contract".

The price displayed was $44.99/month, and clicking on the "Offer & Pricing Details" link also showed a price of $44.99/month.  When I clicked on "Order Now", however, the price jumped to $49.99. I ended up calling Verizon to see if I could get the $44.99 price that was clearly displayed, but despite talking to the rep and to a manager for quite a while, they couldn't change the price. The reps on the phone did see the $44.99 price on the Web site.

I've inserted screen shots of the Web site below showing the $44.99 price.

I ended up making the order at $49.99 a month, but the experience left a bad taste in my mouth.  It seemed like a pretty classic bait and switch. The difference is only about $60 over the course of a year, but that would have been enough to cover my router rental.

I would like to write {edited for privacy}to inform her of this problem (she appears to be a real person according to LinkedIn), but I can't find an address for her other than the general correspondence address in Florida.  My wife has suggested opening a complaint with the Massachusetts Attorney General's Office, which I'm currently considering.

If I'd been shown the $49.99 price from the beginning, I still would have gone for the plan, but without the bad feelings. I'd obviously prefer to get the $44.99 price, but I'd also really like the Web site to be fixed so that it shows the actual price.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Bait and switch on the Verizon Web site?
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Glad we could get this corrected for you! Please let us know if you need anything else by posting in this public thread.

Best,

Art

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Glad we could get this corrected for you! Please let us know if you need anything else by posting in this public thread.

Best,

Art

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi eelstretching,

We didn't hear back from you on your Private Support case. If you need further assistance, feel free to make a new post in the public Forums. We'll be able to continue looking into your issue.

As always, we're available for support around the clock.

Thanks,
Ali Adam

0 Likes
awayne1

I received a letter from {edited for privacy} Director, Customer Relationship Marketing at Verizon regarding locking in for a 2 year contract for Verizon Fios. My 2-year contract was expiring and the letter said if I replied now I would receive Early Bird Savings of $15/month for 2 years off my regular bundle rate of $119.99. I received an order confirmation from Verizon twice for the $104.99 rate. However, they will now not honor the rate and offered a $109.99/month rate because they never processed the $104.99 rate. They offered some smaller discounts on the phone, but not what they originally confirmed twice in writing back to me.

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello awayne

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you.Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.
Under “My Support Cases” you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe".
Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

awayne,

We have not heard back from you on this issue. At this point we will be closing the private support case.

Josh

0 Likes