Being Billed after Cancellation of Service
mjita
Enthusiast - Level 2

I cancelled my Verizon Fios service to be effective 2/26/18 and received a confirmation e-mail about the cancellation.  I received a bill for 2/27/18 - 3/26/18, even though I no longer have service.  I've been trying to get into contact with billing, but it seems that it's nearly impossible to get through to a customer representative.  I would like help getting in contact with someone who can fix the billing issue.

0 Likes
Re: Being Billed after Cancellation of Service
jonjones1
Legend

@mjitawrote:

I cancelled my Verizon Fios service to be effective 2/26/18 and received a confirmation e-mail about the cancellation.  I received a bill for 2/27/18 - 3/26/18, even though I no longer have service.  I've been trying to get into contact with billing, but it seems that it's nearly impossible to get through to a customer representative.  I would like help getting in contact with someone who can fix the billing issue.

Call 1-800-VERIZON between 8 am til 5 pm EDT and you should be ok.

however if you tried to close the account on the last day of your service cycle it is possible the end date carried over to the next bill cycle. So you may have resistance if you look for a refund. Also it’s a good idea to always cancel a few days before and get a termination confirmation from Verizon Fios 

if you get a run around private message me and I will give you another venue to pursue.

but give billing a chance first.

0 Likes
mjita
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for helping me out jonjones.  I will keep trying with billing and see if there are any updates.

I have one question though...do you know why the end date would carry over to the next billing cycle?  I called Verizon on the 23rd of February to make sure I was disconnected by the 26th, and on the 26th (midnight), my service was disconnected.  Since I didn't have internet on the 26th, I don't understand why the billing would carry over from the 27th onward.  I also received a disconnect confirmation email on the 23rd of February saying that I would no longer have service on the 26th.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mjitawrote:

Thank you for helping me out jonjones.  I will keep trying with billing and see if there are any updates.

I have one question though...do you know why the end date would carry over to the next billing cycle?  I called Verizon on the 23rd of February to make sure I was disconnected by the 26th, and on the 26th (midnight), my service was disconnected.  Since I didn't have internet on the 26th, I don't understand why the billing would carry over from the 27th onward.  I also received a disconnect confirmation email on the 23rd of February saying that I would no longer have service on the 26th.

I will try to reason this out. However sometimes what we reason is not what Verizon is reasoning. 

I will use my start and end dates for example. I had service installed on the 18th of the month a year ago +/- so my bill start date should be that  date. Now Verizon bills in advance so I owed on the first bill a pro rata but it was not much. So my total monthly invoice was $85 complete. Because Verizons closing date was the 19th. I owed a day so it was $85+$5 for that day. My service dates are starting on the 19th. Ending on the 18th of the month in advance. So this invoice is covering 19th. of February until the 18th of March 2018

if I decide to cancel service I cancel a few days prior to March 18, 2018 Since if I go and set a date after my bill closing date you still owe for the complete month.  However on cancellation you must read your invoice for the start and end dates for service.

if the date you requested falls after your bill closing date, you owe. If you cancel prior to your invoice start date then you owe nothing.

If you have auto debit or automatic payment set up stop it immediately since you are giving Verizon a direct access to your money.

if you find after reading your invoice you actually cancelled prior to your closing date call your bank or credit card company up and dispute the payment. It’s easier to negotiate when the money is in your account and not theirs.

If you read your invoice and find it was after your closing date then it’s a legitimate payment. But still cancel automatic payments. Just in case they try it again.

if you need to have an advocate contact your states Public Utilities Commission or Public Service Commission located via google search for your state. They regulate Verizon and other companies so you can use them as well.

Good Luck 

mjita
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problem got resolved after calling many times, but I wanted to post the solution, incase others have had similar problems.

Solution: The billing department was able to fix the problem upon research.  Apparently, the disconnect order got stuck and didn't make it to billing until March 15th, so on their end it looked like I still had service; hence, I was charged for an extra billing cycle.

I was told that this is a rare occurrence, so most customer service representatives don't know what to do.  I was told misinformation or lies from one customer service representative.  It took a total of 5 calls to finally get to the right department to help me.  I have detailed notes below on what happened incase anyone is interested.

Detailed story:

On my 2nd call, I was told that I was charged because my final bill got generated on 2/26, the day of my disconnect.  I was told that Verizon has the right to charge me as long as the bill got generated and that it was in the terms of service.  I was also told that the Public Service Commission also allows this.  This was all misinformation to discourage me from pursuing the matter any further.

I was lucky on my 3rd call and got a representative who was well-informed and told me that sometimes when you disconnect your service very close to the date when a new bill is generated, you might see charges for an additional billing cycle and that in the final bill, the balance should come out to $0.

Unfortunately, I didn't get another bill generated on 3/26/18, so I still owed money.  I called on 3/29/18 (4th call), and I was basically transferred to the financial department, who transferred me back to general customer support, who wanted to transfer me to the financial department!  At this point I was fed up, so I told the representative that I wanted to speak to their supervisor.  I was told that the supervisor was busy, so instead, the representative chose to continue to look into the matter.  The representative told me that the representative, who I called on my 3rd try, opened up a claim to resolve the problem.

At this point I didn't believe anything Verizon support said, so I called for the 5th time.  This time, I was taken to a different menu.  I was told my final balance, and I was given the option to talk to billing (the automated system asked me to say some keywords if I had an issue with my final bill).  This is when I finally got connected to the billing department, who was able to quickly assess what went wrong and fixed the problem.

I don't know if it's possible to leave good feedback to help the two Verizon employees who went the extra mile to help me with my situation, but if I can, I will because it seems these type of representatives are rare to find.

I hope some of this information helps others who are in a similar situation as I am.

nevorchi1

I cancelled my Verizon home services back in January 2021. ($69.99) a month.

I've been getting billed since then until October. I finally decided to call Verizon and "fix" the situation... They told me that I would get refunded for the months that I was charged. (8x69.99)... it's december now and I haven't seen a penny.

Now I'm just doing long waits with the chats and on the phone trying to get in contact with the right person...

Yeah I think I'm done with Verizon after this.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi nevorchi,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes