Being billed for returned equipment
mitzel

I returned a HD DVR a regular cable box and a router. 2 months later I get a bill for $855.00. I'm told by the lady on the phone that it show that they never received the equipment. Here is the problem I have. The phone number that was listed on the bill wasn't even the right person to talk to about the bill. Then when I do get transferred to the billing department, they can't tell me anything about the equipment itself. All they want me to do is pay the bill. None of the departments at Verizon have a clue about the other departments. Verizon likes it that way. That way you can't get any real answers about a problem like this without getting transferred around for hours. Most people give up due to frustration.

I guess I am expected to hold onto a tracking number indefinitely. All I know is that I do not have the equipment. The little brown store that I shipped it from does not have the equipment either. To me, at this point, since I followed Verizon's instructions to the letter, I have done my part. I am now doing Verizon's job to find their lost equipment for them. They are basically extorting me into doing this for them by saying that if I do not I have to pay $855.00. I have fulfilled my portion of the contract and should no longer be liable for this.

0 Likes
Re: Being billed for returned equipment
RPeppe
Enthusiast - Level 2

I share everyone's frustration.  I closed my account in August and am still trying to sort out the billing issues. For the first two months the problems were duplicate charges and billing for the time after I cancelled, but then the unreturned equipment charges kicked in, even though I had returned the equipment in August, and was able to provide tracking numbers showing someone at Verizon signed for the packages. 

I was on the phone a few dozen times trying to sort the mess out. I finally got some help here in response to a posting on this board, but the person at "Verizon Executive Support" told me that the system would take another month to reflect that I did not owe the money,  That was at the end of November, and I was told to wait for the end of December statement.  I waited, and for a while the "current status" box on the website said paid in full and zero due, but the bill itself online, that had a current date, said I owed the money and it was being referred to collections.

Today, this morning the current status box change to show I again owe the money, the online bill says "paid in full" but if I download the bill or try to print it, the pdf says I owe the money and it will be referred to collections. Even that online part that says paid in full says "prior balance $216, payments $0, current balance $0 paid in full" so it never shows any credit or removal of the $216 charge. 

No wonder people are upset and confused.  I would be happy to join any complaints or legal actions- I can not even find out from Verizon whether my problem has been resolved despite the assurances.

Ron

0 Likes
Trailhead
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sixx,

Count me in.  I, too, am looking for the addresses and email addresses of Verizon executives.  I'm certain that I am not the only person experiencing the 'bait and switch', ambiguous billing statements, unresolved questions, and nearly unresponsive customer support representatives.  Fewer than 20% of the ones that assisted me actually did, but even then not with a complete answer/solution.

There is a virtually complete lack of accountability on the part of the sales reps and the customer service reps.  In the mean time, lack of paying these bills filled with egregious accouting errors results in getting submitted to collections.  It's time to hold Verizon to task.

0 Likes
mitzel

Thanks for the replies. Here is an update. I still cannot find my tracking number. I went to the UPS store and gave them the date that I "think" I shipped it on. There were only 2 Verizon return shipments that day. He gave me both of the tracking numbers to try. I called customer support and they tell me I have to call this place that does all of the return equipment processing and give them the tracking number and they can cross reference it with an account number to see if it is mine. OK...great. So I call the number. It is an automated system. They want either the telephone number from your account or your Return Authorization number. Since I only had internet and TV service I do not have a phone number associated with my account (I tried the account number) and since I do not have my receipt I do not have my Return Authorization number. There is also no way to speak to an actual person.

What a total waste of time. So now I get to spend another 30 minutes on hold so I can spend another 15 minutes trying to explain this all over to a new person because nobody every puts any notes in the system.

0 Likes
Sixx2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think a judge (in South Texas) dismissed a lawsuit that would address some billing issues saying that consumers should sue the company on an individual base, it would be very hard to prevail.  I will continue to do research on this issue and since my issue has not been resolved, I will have no choice but continue to fight. 

I am also interested in contacting the upper executive folks at Verizon and bring to their attention (or remind them)the epic disaster the customer service is. 

I will gladly inform everybody when, or if, my issue gets resolved.

0 Likes