Being charged $100 for following Verizon's directions....PLEASE HELP!
SamsungFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

2 months ago my cable modem stopped working and a new one was sent out to me. The following day my modem started working again so when I received the new modem, I just sealed it up and slapped the preprinted/paid ups return label on it and dropped it off at the local ups dropbox.

2 months later I recieved a $99.99 "additional internet service fee" so I called customer service. It took them 1 hour to determine that they did not know why I was being charged this fee so they transferred me to the equipment department. After 30mins on the phone with that department, they told me there was no tracking information in the ups database and that there was nothing they could do so he transferred me to customer service and explained to the representative my situation. She explained that there was nothing she could do unless she receives the equipment. After explaining to her for 30 mins that I followed all of the directions, she determined that the only other thing she can do is search their equipment database for the modem. I am not holding my breath because clearly the package has been lost between the drop box and the ups center. I find it HIGHLY unlikely that ups delivered a product without registering it through their system. She reluctantly agreed with me but still insisted that there was no way they could wave the fee without receiving the modem. I explained that I cannot submit a claim through ups because I did not pay for the return shipping and therefore have not officially conducted business with them. Only Verizon can attempt to collect their loss.

So I am stuck, I followed the directions, I cannot attempt to collect from ups and in 2 days I have to pay my bill.....at which point I will no longer have a leg to stand on as I am sure Verizon will be even less likely to refund my money so that they can take a loss. Please help me figure out what to do! Should I not pay my bill until this is resolved? Should I pay it on my credit card and than attempt to dispute the charges (not even sure if I can do that)? Is there an employee on these forums that knows a loophole around this bizarre situation? I know this doesn't happen very often so there is not an appropriate protocol set up. For the record, although I spent 2 hours on the phone just to find out I'm screwed, the staff has really attempted to make things right but without a protocol in place they are severely limited.

Re: Being charged $100 for following Verizon's directions....PLEASE HELP!
prisaz
Legend

Did you keep a copy of the tracking number or your copy of the label? You should be able to trach the UPS shipment. I would never hand anything to UPS without keeping a copy of the tracking number that is on the pre printed label. You should have also received something from the UPS person that took the package. Preprinted label or not.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

So ... you put all the labels on the box and dropped it in a dropbox?  You didn't take it to a UPS store?

If that's the case, I think you're out $100.   You have no receipt or proof that you actually ever dropped the equipment into UPS's system.  I don't doubt that you dropped it off in a box, but I understand Verizon's position.

This is why I believe they tell you to take the equipment to a UPS store.   I recently returned a STB and after applying the labels to the box I followed the instructions and took it to a UPS store where they printed out another label and put it on the box and gave me a receipt with a tracking number on it.  Didn't cost me anything -- that all got billed to Verizon -- but I had the all important receipt showing the tracking number.

The tracking number is the key piece here ... if you had that proof that you handed it to a UPS employee / representative and the box got lost in transit, Verizon would likely waive the fee since they would be able to see that the box entered the system and then failed to get delivered (or got delivered to Verizon and then failed to ever make it into their system for some reason).

SamsungFan
Enthusiast - Level 2

Although I agree with you that I SHOULD have gone to a ups store for added security, the directions clearly stated I could go to a ups store, drop box or even give the package to any ups driver. 

Furthermore, even if I had a receipt or tracking#, verizon's current policy would still hold me accountable if they could not locate the package. Word for word from CSR, "we cannot waive the fee until we receive the modem." A receipt could only help me file a claim against ups and they will not acknowledge my claim because verizon is the client, not me. Everyone is pointing fingers and meanwhile the customer who followed all of the directions is being blamed. Verizon could, at the very least, submit a claim against ups but they will not do that because it is not worth the effort. Funny how when I had compatibility issues with my samsung anynet+ feature and my HD DVR STB, a situation that is clearly not their fault, without asking they credited my account with many months of free HBO and Showtime (almost $100 value). Yet now that I am in a situation that is not as meaningless as a **bleep** tv add on, they can't just do the same thing to offset the fee that apparently I owe! I always applauded verizon for going out of there way to make their customers happy but now it seems like they are deliberately not trying to help me.   

So should I pay the bill and cancel my birthday weekend due to lack of funds? Hold out until a compromise is reached? File a complaint with the BBB?

I feel helpless and unappreciated as a loyal verizon customer.

prisaz
Legend

@SamsungFan wrote:

Although I agree with you that I SHOULD have gone to a ups store for added security, the directions clearly stated I could go to a ups store, drop box or even give the package to any ups driver. 

Furthermore, even if I had a receipt or tracking#, verizon's current policy would still hold me accountable if they could not locate the package. Word for word from CSR, "we cannot waive the fee until we receive the modem." A receipt could only help me file a claim against ups and they will not acknowledge my claim because verizon is the client, not me. Everyone is pointing fingers and meanwhile the customer who followed all of the directions is being blamed. Verizon could, at the very least, submit a claim against ups but they will not do that because it is not worth the effort. Funny how when I had compatibility issues with my samsung anynet+ feature and my HD DVR STB, a situation that is clearly not their fault, without asking they credited my account with many months of free HBO and Showtime (almost $100 value). Yet now that I am in a situation that is not as meaningless as a **bleep** tv add on, they can't just do the same thing to offset the fee that apparently I owe! I always applauded verizon for going out of there way to make their customers happy but now it seems like they are deliberately not trying to help me.   

So should I pay the bill and cancel my birthday weekend due to lack of funds? Hold out until a compromise is reached? File a complaint with the BBB?

I feel helpless and unappreciated as a loyal verizon customer.

I went though the same thing with a stolen Tivo. If UPS lost it, they would credit Verizon and Verizon would credit you. It could take a month or more. I had to file a police report of where the package was left, and give the report number to UPS. Then their insurance would kick in and pay Tivo, and Tivo paid me. Be persistant, my loss was $315. But the tracking number is printed on the return label so you could have written it down. I would have, especially if I had not taken it to the store. Depending on how you recieved the return label Verizon should have a record of it being sent to you and what the number is. Without proof to where it went or who received it, I think your out of luck. If you could track it ,or had the number you could at least tell UPS where it was left. They would contact the driver of that route, and investigate the missing merchandise.

I wish you the best in getting this resolved.

Vizard
Enthusiast - Level 1

>>  

<<

I might suggest that you pay the undisputed portion of your bill and enjoy your birthday weekend for as far as the $100 will take you.

If your history [as told over several posts] is accurate, and you truly followed, in exact detail, Verizon's instructions [BTW, did those instuctions say nothing about contacting Verizon, and perhaps getting Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number? This would be separate and in addition to any return shipping label for the carrier], then I would be thinking "persistence" rather than "compromise."  At least to the point where you feel that any more of your time is worth more than the $100 in dispute.

Do you have any documentation [such as e-mails, or chat transcripts, or packing documents that came with the new modem when it was delivered to you]? What information does it contain that could assist in finding out where the modem might have been misrouted or misaccounted for?

BTW, your story does not convince me that the "disappearance" necessarily occured between the drop box and the carrier's origin depot!

I recently had an in-warranty notebook computer battery pack failure.  The manufacturer  promptly sent a replacement, with instructions on returning the failed part. Despite my following those instructions the returned battery pack did not get properly logged in at the manufacturers receiving location and I was billed. However, I had the carrier's tracking number (Do you have yours?) and was able to log into the carrier's tracking system and determine the date, time and name of the individual who had accepted delivery on behalf of the manufacturer. Problem resolved.

Best wishes to you in getting a handle on some piece of solid information that might confirm your story and earn you the credit on your Verizon account.