Billing and agreement issue
rviola

Beware of Verizon Bait & Switch. This issue appears prominent based on internet reading and two occurrences on my account (Chino Hills, CA), which was originated in April 2011. I called Verizon for quote and the representative offered a choice of “lifetime DVR” or select pay channels for a period of time that I cannot recollect. I opted for the lifetime DVR, however when I later reviewed my contract or bill I noted that it specified a period of only 12 months. I promptly called Verizon to discuss the issue. Without too much difficulty I explained the situation to a couple layers of phone support, wherein they advised that the representative who provided my quote was a representative from Florida and the offer quoted is not a California offer. I politely explained that my decision to go with them was based on what was quoted and they confirmed they would honor that. They explained that their system in California is not set up to provide this ongoing credit and advised I would need to call in periodically to obtain this credit. This is a nuisance, but not an issue as long as I continued to get reimbursed. This issue is well documented in my account and I had not experienced issues over the last year being properly reimbursed.

Bait and switch # 2 – A Verizon sales rep solicited me to commit to 2 year contract and in turn I would receive a prepaid Visa gift card. I confirmed with the Verizon rep details of my lifetime DVR and discussed the pricing. The representative assured me that my account would be “unchanged”, except cycle time of the billing, based on when my two years would begin. All seemed fine for the first year, but recently my bill went up by appx $20. I reviewed the PDF billing, since I am on paperless system. The PDF (which I had not scrutinized) does advise of 1 year promotional, but this is not what was promised by the representative.

Now let the absurdity begin;

On 5-15-2013 I called Verizon and spoke with rep Andre (employee id xxxxxx). This employee was very brash and unapologetic. Upon explaining the situation he advised that my lifetime DVR is no longer being honored. Although I never received any phone call or advisement from Verizon, he stated that my file has already been noted that lifetime DVR is no longer available for me. I explained the entire situation and referred to my file which is appropriately documented regarding the lifetime DVR. I explained Florida rep, etc mentioned earlier. Rep then advised that the 2 year contract I signed has undone this. (This is mathematically absurd since the one time gift card is only a fraction of the benefit of the lifetime DVR that I was offered.) I argued with the rep/Andre, but was falling on clearly more than deaf ears. I requested to speak with a supervisor and was transferred to;

Rep/Candice (Employee # xxxxxx) She was equally as unreceptive to my appeals. I pleaded to simply read my account, rather than taking my word for the lifetime DVR situation. Again, my file is already documented to this effect. I implored her not to take my word for either/both bait and switch situations, but recalled that my calls were recorded as part of the phone contract process. I requested copies of the recordings and was met with resistance. She advised this is something that needs to be ordered by the manager. I requested that this be completed and requested to speak with the manager. I was advised the manager/Jasmin (they were unable to provide rep #) would request the recordings and would call me back within the next 24 to 48 hours.

5-17-13 After more than 48 hours I still had not received the promised call back from Jasmin. I called and spoke with Roland, however he advised that it takes 5 to 7 business days to get recordings. (seems a little long for a technology company!)

5-29-13 Still no response from anyone at Verizon. Called more than 7 business days later and spoke with Rep/Crystal (Employee # xxxxxxx). Frustration brewing after having to restate situation to each and every rep. Requested that she simply read my file and advise regarding the situation. I was still required to restate the situation and upon discussion was advised I would need to be escalated to a supervisor.

Felicia/Supervisor did promptly call me back, but only to advise that my calls were handled out of the Tuscon, AZ office and that is where the recordings were requested to, so I have to call that office. She was not able to transfer me and upon requesting the phone number for that office, she pointed me to the VZ website.

--brought up Verizon website, but good luck finding the Tuscon office number…..

Called back to Verizon and spoke with Rose (xxxxxxx). Again, had to go through the entire process to date. A little more empathetic, but states I need to put in a formal complaint on-line in order to get the recordings. Pointed me to “myverizon.com/contact desk”, which routes to generic VZ entertainment page. She also stated I could retrieve terms of service agreement/recording at….

Terms.of.service.recording.request@one.verizon.com – this is not a valid link. She was also unable to locate or provide me with a number to Tuscon, AZ office.

On-line I located phone number for complaint & customer assurance (888) 553-1555. I called with intention of verifying info previously given above. The rep told me that I was in the correct department to assist me, but that they were not aware of the terms of service link I was provided. I was routed to Holly who was very empathic and was actually listening to me. She seemed appalled at my ordeal and was apologetic. Although apologetic advised that there isn’t anything she can do personally, since after reviewing my account noted that I am in California and didn’t know why I was transferred to her in Westchester County, NY. She stated that she would stay on the line with me until she had someone who could appropriately assist. She did refer to a “broken promises dept” within the company and reiterated she would make sure I was properly transferred.

I first spoke with Laura, but was transferred to a supervisor/Nicki (both Laura and Nicki stated they couldn’t provide employee id’s). My conversation with Nicki could not have been more unnerving. At intro, it sounded like she was listening, but during the conversation offered to send me my original contract from 2011. She said she thought it would clear up any questions and asked that I review it. I interjected and asked about the details which she was evasive about. Because of this, I inferred it referred to 12 months rather than the lifetime DVR I was promised. I explained that this was the premise of my entire ordeal and that my account is well documented to support this already. I pointed to the numerous credits that are already part of my account. She robotically advised me to read my e-mail. At the limit of frustration I asked why they are not honoring their promises and she deferred to the written contract rather than what was promised. When I inquired with her as to their verbal commitments, she advised this was my problem and that I should have read my contract. In following up, I inquired about the status of my recordings as this seems to be a quite simple resolution, but Nicki now conveniently advises that they do not have either recording. I angrily demanded her manager who she advised is Cindy and was promised a call back within 24 hours.

To no surprise, a return call was never received.

(Point noted regarding reading of the original contract, but I did read my original contract from 2011 and “their error” was acknowledged and noted as to the lifetime DVR situation. Up until this point with Verizon, I didn’t think this was anything more than an honest mistake)  

But in light of recent events, I have come to the conclusion that their Bait & Switch antics are not an isolated occurrence. Mention of a “broken promises department” is proof enough, but a quick on-line search of “Verizon bait and switch” brings a wealth of information. Misdirection and misinformation appears to be the normal process of whittling consumers into submission. Whether incompetence or lies it makes no difference, based on the lack of professionalism exhibited by this company. Buyer beware.

– Dispute ongoing and unresolved as of 6/8/13

0 Likes
Re: Billing and agreement issue
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

rviola,

Since we haven't heard back from you or received the form submission as requested in your private support case, it appears assistance is no longer required. If you need any future help with your Verizon service, please make a post here on the forums so we can assist.

- Joseph_VZ

0 Likes
rviola

This issue is still not resolved to date. This matter was taken up with the BBB, however Verizon's only gave a partial response and offered a pittance of a settlement toward what i am owed.

I still maintain my request for copies of the digital recordings that were taken during my initial contract and subsequent extension.

0 Likes
rviola

Still no response from Verizon. I contacted both their legal office (mediation and arbitration office)  as well as the standard customer service number that their legal office directed me to, although neither could or would provide me with information for their agent of service, since it appears only a small claim will resolve this matter. The Secretary of State for California shows 44 companies with name variations that include Verizon, so serving the correct entity becomes a challenge. I was directed to send a letter to their correspondence office for my inquiry.

I find it curious that a technology company would not allow an e-mail to this portion of the company. Either way, my letter was sent certified and was received 4/21/14. Still no response to my prior post or request to their correspondence office, wherein I restated my request for copies of my contract recordings at the center of this dispute, as well as information for their agent of service and/or the proper entity/business name on file with the California Secretary of State.

Question to my moderator/KaLin? What is Verizon's policy regarding the contract phone recordings. They must be kept for a duration of time, but why have they not been provided to me despite multiple requests?

I anxiously await an appropriate response.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

@rviola wrote:

Question to my moderator/KaLin? What is Verizon's policy regarding the contract phone recordings. They must be kept for a duration of time, but why have they not been provided to me despite multiple requests?

I anxiously await an appropriate response.

I apologize, but unfortunately I cannot answer that question. A forum moderator’s job is to maintain the forum itself, so we are typically unable to access accounts or provide support information on an individual basis.

0 Likes
rviola

Would you be able to direct me to the person or department that can answer my question?

0 Likes
rviola

Hello???? 

Any response and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated. 

R.Viola

0 Likes
rviola

Sir/Madam, I note that this matter has been closed to a private thread, however i consider it open and disputed. I would like this matter to be re-opened and public, so we can move this matter forward. 

Please confirm this matter can be re-opened? 

sincerely. 

R.Viola

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi rviola,

The Private Support case is not public and all correspondence with agents there remains private.  It can be reopened for you, if you would like.  Is that what you are requesting?

0 Likes