Bogus charge
Manatees
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am wondering if I am crazy here. I just got my first Fios bill and there is a charge of $54.99 for PC configuration of Fios Internet.  I was told it was for connecting a second PC. The only thing the installer did was unplug two cat5 cables from my router and plug them into the Fios router that replaced it, sitting in the same spot. Apparently plugging in one end of the second cable constitutes an additional computer hookup. I am going to fight this, even if it means cancelling after the first month, but is seems like the installer could have at least said "My plugging in one end of this cable is going to cost you $55." I would have done it myself. Does the installer get a piece of this? If so, I need to bill him for using my computer to set up the STBs. I set up the WiFi stuff myself after he left, so I know it was not that he was charging for. Am I the only one to get ripped off like this? Who do I complain to to get results?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Bogus charge
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you tell them you had two computers when you placed the order?   If so, that's how it got added in.   I would call billing and politely insist that you only had the router installed and no configuration was necessary on any other PC's since it was a plug replacement of another company's installation and ask that the charge be removed.  I'm certain yelling won't help your cause.  Good luck with your efforts.

Manatees
Enthusiast - Level 2

No I did not tell them about any other computer. I actually got through to Live Chat this morning and was basically told T.S. I asked to speak with someone higher in rank and they actually called me! Long story short, I pointed out the installer could not have configured a second computer as he never even turned it on, and I was told I will be issued a credit. Finally. Now if they could just get someone out here to bury the cable that has been laying on my lawn ( It's hell on the lawn mower) for over two weeks, I will be ready to enjoy all of the great things I have heard about Fios after a rocky start.

spamsickle
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why should FIOS care how many computers I have connected?  Sounds like I need to take a closer look at my own bill; I thought I was paying for a monthly service, not for the number of computers connected.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't care about the number of computers which are connected.  If you would read this post, you would note that the OP indicated that they were assessed an "installation fee" for a second computer.   Verizon typically provides installation for the first 3 STB's (for TV) and first computer (for Internet) for free.   Anything after that, you either "do it yourself" or "pay an installation fee".

The issue here is that the OP was assess an installation fee for a second computer, when in fact, the installer never really did anything to actually connect / install the second computer (such as run a piece of ethernet cable or configure the operating system, etc.)

Month to month, there is no fee regardless of the number of computers you have connected.

Manatees
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correct. I have yet to resolve the unburied cable though. I called and complained, was told someone would be out last Friday. I was home all day, they never showed. I complained in a live chat session the following Tuesday and was told someone would be out the next day (yesterday). I was home all day, no one showed up. I am wondering who to get in touch with next that will get actual results before the cable gets damaged by animals or passers by. I would bury it myself, bad back and all, but it's the principle of it.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon usually subs it out ... perhaps they will share the name of the contractor they are using and you could then call them to confirm the appointment.   There needs to be a utilities identification done first (where they come out and paint the lines on your grass and stuff which identifies where the other utility lines run) and if that's not been done, it's possible the contractor came out and saw it wasn't done and instead went on to another job.   I don't believe you need to be home when they do the cable burying since it doesn't require any inside access to the home -- they did my cable when I first ordered FiOS while I was at work -- I just came home and there was this little line of dead grass where the trenching tool went thru.

Manatees
Enthusiast - Level 2

It does require me to unlock the gate and keep my 80-pound dog from eating them while they dig. I did have this nice chat yesterday:

Dawinder(11:38:48): The technician will be there by 12noon.
(Me) (11:38:57): today?
(Me) (11:39:16): it's already 11:39 here
Dawinder(11:39:31): Yes that is correct.
Dawinder(11:40:06): I have checked with my supervisor and according to him we have to wait till 12.
(Me) (11:40:11): In less than 20 minutes? that would be great
Dawinder(11:41:06): I am sorry it tool a long time.
(Me) (11:41:36): All will be forgotten if it gets done today. thanks.
Dawinder(11:41:41): But please do not worry we have a open ticket for you and a technician will be coming today
Dawinder(11:41:52): You are welcome.

I guess I should have asked if that was noon India time. Needless to say nobody showed up. I am this >< close to going back to Bright House just because I do not like being repeatedly lied to.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Well ... I could how the 80-pound dog might factor a bit into the equation.  Smiley Surprised

Maybe you should try calling and when they tell you the guy is coming today, ask for them to connect you with the contractor so that you can verify the information directly.   When I had my installation done, I was speaking with a supervisor and she got the contractor on the line who was able to give me exact details on the when the installation was going to take place and even gave me a direct contact number to call them.   YMMV, but I think somehow gettng hooked up with the contractor that is doing the install would go a long way toward resolving this.

tsptech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Do what I did to get mine buried. I disconnected it to mow the lawn then called in  a trouble call for lose of service.  Next time I told them I was tilling my yard and would cut the cable if it did not get buried.  I then called again for out of service.  Next thing I knew it was buried.  Works fine now.