Collection notice for equipment that was returned 7 months ago
Zenyatta
Enthusiast - Level 1

When moving from NY to CA in June 2014 we cancelled our Verizon FIOS account and returned the set top box and remote by UPS delivery as instructed by the Verizon agent I talked to. The charges for the equipment kept showing on our account so I called Verizon four times over the next several months. Each time the agent said not to worry - the charges would be removed. In December I got a collection letter from a collection agency which I disputed by including the proof of delivery from UPS. A few weeks later I called the collection agency and they said Verizon had recalled the debt. Then in January I got a collection notice from another agency and I noticed that my FICO score had dropped 100 points because Verizon reported the collection to the credit bureaus. 

From reading several similar posts on this forum it appears I am not the only one this has happened to. This points to either gross incompetence in their accounting and/or inventory departments or they are trying to make a few extra bucks from departing customers. I hope for Verizon's sake that the latter is not the case. 

Verizon: making repeated calls to your help line and writing dispute letters is a pain in the neck but a big drop in credit score has a MAJOR EFFECT ON PEOPLE'S LIVES. Fix this .

Re: Collection notice for equipment that was returned 7 months ago
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are having difficulty, an agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information to help you resolve your issue.Please remember to check your spam/junk folder if you do not hear from an agent.

0 Likes
Zenyatta
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I am still waiting for a response to this. I have checked my spam folder but have received no messages yet. Please expedite as I want to have this error removed from my credit report as soon as possible.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Zenyatta,

Thanks for letting us know.  We have let the team know you are still waiting.

0 Likes