DSL set fee for life, and fee increase
fractl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm rather frustrated, and I don't know if this is the best place to relate this, but my other options haven't provided me with any satisfaction.

My mom passed away in 2009, and I inherited her house. She had been paying for Verizon basic DSL, and, when I moved here, I was deciding if I would go with Verizon DSL or Comcast Broadband. At that time, I'd received an offer to subscribe to Verizon DSL at the basic speed for 19.99 a month for life. It seemed like a good deal, so I called to switch the account into my name and order the 19.99 a month for life plan. I was told that, in order to get the 19.99 DSL for life plan, I would have to cancel my mom's account, and start a new one in my name from scratch, which I did. Unfortunately, it didn't necessarily go smoothly, and some of the errors that the first representative made had to be corrected by a second and third person. But, finally, everything was OK, and I have been receiving the 19.99 service since 2009.

Now, today, I received a bill that included a 24.99 fee for DSL. I called Verizon customer support and was told that I was never on the 19.99 DSL for life plan and that nothing could be done about my bill increase. Unfortunately, I've only saved my bills and e-mails from mid-2010 onward, so I can't check anything going back to 2009. The representative I spoke with said that my initial e-mails had indicated that I had a plan that was only temporarily 19.99. I can't refute this, as I don't have those e-mails anymore, but I do know that I specifically signed up with Verizon instead of Comcast because I had been sent the 19.99 a month for life offer. Also, I don't see why my monthly fee stayed at 19.99 for over 3 years if I indeed hadn't been given the 19.99 for life plan... but that doesn't matter. As I said, the 19.99 for life deal was the specific reason I chose Verizon at the time.

Now, considering how much the first representative screwed things up initially back in 2009, maybe that was when the problem occurred. That person was supposed to have canceled my mom's account and then have started one in my name, but, in fact, she had just switched the account to my name, which didn't result in my getting the new deal. I had to deal with subsequent people to actually get her account cancelled and to get service started again in my name. I remember asking for confirmation that I was indeed getting the new 19.99 for life plan, but maybe the specific plan got lost in all that confusion.

The representative I spoke with today said that my e-mail records from the time detail a temporary 19.99 plan, as I said earlier. Unfortunately, that may be so, for all I know, since I no longer have those old e-mails. At the time, I didn't read any of the fine print, as I'd assumed that I'd gotten the deal I had been offered, particularly since I was being billed the 19.99, which was the proper amount for the 19.99 DSL for life plan. Also, it was less than my mom had been paying, so I assumed that I had been given the appropriate plan.

Not that five dollars extra is a ton of money, but it's unpleasant to have felt that I took advantage of a good offer only to now be told that my DSL cost isn't locked in and can be raised at any time. This has been quite frustrating, particularly when the representative I spoke with today told me I was mistaken about what happened in 2009. I realize that his only reference was the data in front of him, but I have an exceptional memory and remember conversations verbatim for years. I certainly remember why I chose Verizon over Comcast back in 2009 and what plan caused me to make that decision. Now, as I said, maybe more mistakes than I was aware of were made when I cancelled my mom's account and started my own, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Of course, by assuming that errors were made in 2009 is giving Verizon the benefit of the doubt. I would prefer that honest mistakes were made, as opposed to my simply having been lied to. Like I said, if I was given a 19.99 for one year plan in 2009, why did it remain unchanged until now? Did Verizon simply get tired of my paying so little. I hate being cynical, but I do know what plan I ordered.

0 Likes
Re: DSL set fee for life, and fee increase
fractl1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I posted the previous message with various paragraphs. I don't know why it posted as one big lump with no paragraph breaks. (Note - edited prevous post to show paragraph breaks.)

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hello fractl

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum, and look in the middle, right at the top where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases".
There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

0 Likes
Verizon_Support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Fractl,

Glad we got the issue addressed as well as resolved for you. We will be closing the private support case, however, at any time you have questions and/or concerns with your service feel free to reach out here on our forums. Have a good one!

Thanks,

Hugo

0 Likes
jthma

You Are Not Wrong. I Have The Same Problem With Verizon.

in February 2009,  Thats When I Also Received The Letter For DSL For Life. I Had Them Change It

I Do Have My Mar 2009 Statement and The Adjustment is there.

I called This Past Wednesday Oct 2 and told VZ that the Changed my DSL For Life Charge From 19.99 to 24.99

They are Not Telling The Truth.  They Told Me It Was Never an Option (LIE).

Someone Has To Submit a "Change" to The Accounts.  There Are Codes Called "USOC"s That Determine What Services Are On A Phone Line, And Someone From The BUSINESS OFFICE probably submitted a job to "SWEEP" all DSL Accounts.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes