Getting DSL Service in my area
lacski
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to get Verizon to expand DSL service in my area? 

My neighbors down the street have access as well as people in much more remote areas surrounding my address, however, I've been told on several occasions when I call the "Central Office" number, that it's not available.  They always say they'll take my info and notify me if it ever becomes available, but it's been over a year now, and I've never heard a word.  It's very frustrating to know that it's "available" down the street, but Verizon won't expand DSL service or offer FIOS so my only internet option is Satellite.

I will probably drop my land line if DSL isn't offered very soon.  HELP!

0 Likes
Re: Getting DSL Service in my area
Poorfellow
Enthusiast - Level 3

@lacski wrote:

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions on how to get Verizon to expand DSL service in my area? 

My neighbors down the street have access as well as people in much more remote areas surrounding my address, however, I've been told on several occasions when I call the "Central Office" number, that it's not available.  They always say they'll take my info and notify me if it ever becomes available, but it's been over a year now, and I've never heard a word.  It's very frustrating to know that it's "available" down the street, but Verizon won't expand DSL service or offer FIOS so my only internet option is Satellite.

I will probably drop my land line if DSL isn't offered very soon.  HELP!

There are a few reasons why you may not qualify, but your neighbors down the street and those well beyond you do:

1.) Your neighbors down the street are just within range of the central office or remote terminal to qualify for DSL.

2.) Your neighbors beyond you are on a different remote terminal, reducing their loop length, allowing them to qualify for DSL.

3.) Your local Central Office or remote terminal has no available 'ports' for DSL customers.  This will require Verizon to add capacity or a customer will need to drop service to faciliate a port becoming available.

In instance 1, you probably aren't going to have much luck, unless Verizon can re-engineer your loop to be shorter.  The only way this would happen is for Verizon to move you to another pair, assuming there is a defect or bridged tap in your current pair making it appear longer than it is.

In instance 2, you may be closer to those neighbors' remote terminal than your current neighbors.  It may be possible to move to that remote terminal, assuming facilities reach you from both your existing CO/remote terminal and the one that those 'far away' neighbors use.  This is tough, since Verizon doesn't have to rearrange service that is already working well in order to provide DSL.  It's definitely worth a shot to get off of Satellite, however.

In instance 3, I'm not sure how vigorously Verizon is continuing to ramp-up DSL capacity, but customers move to other areas everyday.  I'd keep calling and remain vigilant.

Good luck -- DSL beats the pants off of satellite or cellular internet (even LTE, due to the cap) any day!

0 Likes
Re: Getting DSL Service in my area
lacski
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for that information, Poorfellow.  I've never received an explanation even remotely close to that when I've called Verizon. 

I just got off the phone with them and apparently my location is >25,000 ft. from the central office which is the reason I don't qualify.  As a result, I'll probably drop my Verizon land line soon since it has terrible feedback whenever it rains or gets windy anyway.

Verizon customer service would not even provide a name of an actual employee to whom I could address a letter requesting service expansion in my area.  They told me yet again, that the only way to do so is to complete the request form which I've already done. I don't think they'll ever expand service so I'll be forced to continue living in the technological dark ages unless satellite service ever improves. 

I'm very disappointed and wish there was something more I could do.